Like Button

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Why Do I Do It?

Scripture is replete with pleas and commands for unity. Time and again we see the Bible asking us to "be of the same mind." Instead, we see division. There are thousands of denominations and probably an exponentially larger number of theological viewpoints. Some have complained that this kind of ongoing discussion and division simply tarnishes Christianity to the world. Still, undaunted, we continue to set forth what we believe to be the truth and explain why opposing views are not.

Why do we do it? I suspect that the answers to that is as varied as our theology. Some want to be right. Some want to argue. Some want to defend the truth. And lots of other reasons. I wouldn't be so grandiose as to try to answer that question for anyone else, but I feel I need to answer it for myself, else I would need to stop.

Why do I continue to defend the truth? If it was simply because I want to be right, I'd have given up long ago. I've seen too many times where I am defending my position only to be overwhelmed with the irrefutable logic of the opposing position. I've had to admit that I was wrong and change my view. If "being right" was my aim, I'd be a dismal failure. No, it's not about that. Nor is it because I like to argue. I don't. I tend to be a "peace at all costs" kind of person. So why do I do it?

The answer isn't a simple one. I have multiple reasons. I do it because we are commanded to "contend for the faith" (Jude 1:3). I don't always enjoy it, but I am commanded to do it, so I do. We are commanded to "be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, and exhort, with complete patience and teaching" (2 Tim. 4:2). We are commanded to always be "prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you" (1 Peter 3:15). As much as some would like to silence the dialog, it appears to be a command from God, so I do it.

I do it because it is the history of the Church. Almost every single doctrine of Christianity is born out of controversy. Starting with Paul's letters to the churches, reaching throughout the New Testament writings, and continuing through all of Church History, nearly every major doctrine was marked out because of the counterfeits that showed up on the scene. Indeed, the New Testament has multiple warnings that false teachers will appear, and it was right. So, as if God intended this mechanism, godly people have arisen each time to make a defense for the truth. Paul shot down gnosticism (Colossians), legalism (Galatians), experientialism (Corinthians), and more. John addressed antinomianism (1 John) and other topics. The author of Hebrews defended the deity of Christ against some "created being" concept. The Council of Nicea explained the Trinity against the heretics. Luther and Calvin took on the established church at the time to push it back toward biblical doctrine. And on and on. It is the history of the Church. I do it because it is biblically and historically required.

I do it because I want to be right. I mean this different than earlier. I want to be right, even if I am not currently. I want to think correctly. I want to alter my views as need be to bring my ideas into line with the truth. None of us are 100% correct. I don't do it because I think I am. But if I never submit my ideas to the "marketplace", so to speak, then I can never have my thinking corrected. And I want to be transformed by the renewing of my mind. So where I think wrong (i.e., I know that I do), I want to correct it.

Finally, I do it because I think it is important. I think that there is absolute truth. I think that truth matters. I think that faulty thinking leads to faulty living. For those who are mistaken where I am correct, I hope to point to the truth for them to correct their thinking. The truth, you see, isn't mine. It's the truth. If I can point an erring brother or sister to the truth, I have done them a service. And for those who are correct where I am mistaken, I want to see the truth. This only happens when dialog occurs. So I examine viewpoints contrary to my own. I look at ideas not my own. I test my thoughts against Scripture and evident reason. All because I think that the truth is real and that it matters.

Why do I do it? Why do I maintain this dialog? I do it because we are commanded to do it. I do it because historically it has been the way the Church has operated. I do it because I want to correct my own thinking. I do it because ultimately I believe truth is important. I can't answer for anyone else, but I think these are sufficient reasons to continue the conversation.

No comments: