Like Button

Monday, November 13, 2006

Being Ready Always ...

It is said that the Christian army is the only army that shoots its wounded. I don't know that the "only" part is accurate, but the point is well taken. Often we tend to snipe at our fallen brethren rather than attempt to heal them. But don't assume that this means that it is only our wounded who we shoot. Oh, no. Christians are good at taking shots at just about anything that moves. We'll pick off our opponents with grim accuracy and then turn the weapon on our allies if we don't rightly understand their point. We do it with glee, sometimes, making it our life's mission to point out how wrong those who we perceive don't agree with us really are ... and possibly damned.

The tone of too many Christian conversations, be they verbal or electronic, is one of anger. Well, we call it "righteous indignation", but, truth be told, it's anger. Peter says we are to always be prepared to "make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you," (1 Peter 3:15) but he adds, "yet do it with gentleness and respect" (1 Peter 3:15). "Gentleness and respect," that should be obvious. Peter says it is "so that, when you are slandered, those who revile your good behavior in Christ may be put to shame" (1 Peter 3:16).

Have you ever tried to call a Christian who is not operating out of gentleness and respect on this? I don't recommend it. As I said, Christians are good at turning their guns on just about anyone. And this one meets with seriously stiff resistance. You see, many see themselves as "Paul to the Galatians" or "Paul to Cephas" or even "Jesus to the Pharisees", where tough words are trotted out to correct serious error. So if you suggest that they are not being gentle or respectful, they simply tell you that they are acting as Paul or Jesus, and to butt out. In other words, as long as you have "righteous indignation", it's okay to be unkind, unfair, and disrespectful.

"Gentleness and respect" -- what are these terms? King James calls the first "meekness". About this word Vines says, "It is an inwrought grace of the soul; and the exercises of it are first and chiefly towards God. It is that temper of spirit in which we accept His dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting." But the word differs from the English "meekness" because that word expresses weakness. The Greek word expresses no such thing. Instead, this term comes from strength. It suggest enormous power under control. The idea behind "gentleness" or "meekness" here is that there is such power available that there is no need to defend myself. Here, let me try this. In the world of stereo equipment, the rule of thumb is to get a system with high power output. The purpose isn't so that you can create a civil disturbance with the equipment. The idea is that when there is an overwhelming availability of power, the fidelity is extremely good at low volume. If the power isn't there, then there is distortion, but with available power, reproducing the sound is easy. That's "gentleness" or "meekness". When we remember the power behind the truth, we don't need to wield a sword or fire a cannon to get it across.

"Respect" is the other term ... and this one is very interesting. The NASB translates it "reverence". Others give us "respect". The King James says, "fear", and, interestingly, that's exactly the word used here -- phobos. The word refers to fear, dread, terror. It is rooted in the concept of flight, as in fear that makes you flee. It is one of the motivational influences of the Christian life: "the fear of the Lord". Most object to this concept and turn into "reverential awe". I suppose this isn't too far off ... if we hadn't moved "awe" from its original concept. You see, "awe" originally meant "an overwhelming feeling of reverence, admiration, fear, etc., produced by that which is grand, sublime, extremely powerful, or the like" (Random House). It included the idea of "dread". The word is used in Paul's instructions to women's attitude toward their husbands: "respect" (Eph. 5:33). It is a term rooted in fear and includes the ideas of respect and reverence and awe.

Look around you. Listen to believers' dialogues or examine Christian blogs. Do these bespeak "gentleness and respect"? Is there a sense that "We don't really need to come across harsh because there is such power in the truth"? Is there a sense that these communications are respectful, even fearful? Or is it that while we "contend earnestly for the faith" (Jude 1:3) we have become more bold than even Michael the archangel disputing with Satan and "did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgment, but said, 'The Lord rebuke you!'" (Jude 1:9)?

Well, here's what I suspect. Those of you who are equally concerned about Christian communications, some of the mean-spirited and unkind approaches some Christians take, and the sad lack of gentleness and respect being displayed in the name of Christ will say, "Amen!" The rest will be indignant. "Would you tell Christ He was lacking gentleness and respect?" True. Paul did use some harsh words at times. Jesus wasn't polite in His scathing rebuke of the Pharisees. But if you examine their overall approach and the overall approach of too many Christians today, it would seem that while they spoke softly and carried a big stick, we too often wield a big stick and have forgotten that a soft answer turns away wrath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I think most of the time it is lack of empathy and sometimes even pride that causes us to blast others. And I am not perfect in this matter either.

I used to be the one full of pride, dealing harshly with others when they sinned. God said he allows pride to go before the fall, and He was not kidding. At one point when I had fallen in sin, a sister came to me and addressed the sin issue in quite a harsh way to which I felt wounded. I thought God was just giving me a dose of my own former medicine.

Recently (13 years later) this sister came to me and told me she was so sorry for the way she addressed my sin. She admitted at the time it was not about restoring me out of love, it was rooted in pride, as she felt positive she would never sink as low as me.

During all of this, she saw over the years how God used my sin to break me of pride and create a gentle spirit and a passion for Him and others. She saw major growth in my life, and realized her own growth had never progressed and in fact, she was trapped in sins that others did not know about.

I had not idea that she had issues with pride too. I had no idea she had issues with sin too. My heart was blessed to see God opening her eyes and dealing with her, as He once did to me and still daily I have to come to Him and ask Him to reveal my motives, lest I return to who I once was. I am scared of me. And it breaks my heart to admit that my motives are not always pure to this day.

I do believe if we would all be more faithful to examine ourselves and to ask God to reveal if there is any hurtful way within us we would see much more growth and ministry coming from our lives.

In ending this, I do want to say that I also believe in using Biblical discipline. There is a time to confront sin, but we need to examine our motives first. It needs to be out of love and a desire for restoration, not because we have been wronged. I do believe there is a time to keep away from a person who claims to be a brother/sister who will not repent from a habitual sin with the understanding that you cannot allow their sin to taint the life of other Christians. We cannot play both sides, we are either of the world or of Christ. Yet our desire should always be one of hoping they will eventually repent and be restored. It should break our heart to have to stand in discipline of another, not make us beam with self-righteousness.

Refreshment in Refuge said...

good post, bro. I needed this reminder.