Like Button

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Fear God?

In his horrible diatribe against the condition of natural man, Paul concludes with this accusation: "There is no fear of God before their eyes" (Rom. 3:18). Lest you think that this is a commentary on Paul's time, he borrows it from Scripture. David writes, "Transgression speaks to the ungodly within his heart; there is no fear of God before his eyes" (Psa. 36:1). Instead of an isolated description, it appears to be a common problem of Man.

What is this "fear"? We often try to mitigate it. Many translations like to use "reverence" instead of "fear". We aren't supposed to fear God, are we? No, of course not. And yet, it seems as if the universal response of human beings who experience the true presence of God is ... abject fear.

Jacob had a dream of angels descending and ascending into heaven. He awoke and his immediate response was to be afraid. "'Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it.' And he was afraid and said, 'How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven'" (Gen. 28:16-17). Isaiah was a prophet of God. In Isaiah 6 he describes his encounter with God in a vision. His response was, "Woe is me, for I am ruined! Because I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts" (Isa. 6:5).

These aren't just "Old Testament" responses. When Jesus told the fishermen, "Put out into the deep water and let down your nets for a catch" (Luke 5:4), Peter recognized Deity. He didn't suggest a deal; he begged for distance. "Depart from me, for I am a sinful man, O Lord!" (Luke 5:8). And when the seasoned fishermen experienced a storm on the Sea of Galilee, they were frightened, but when the Son of God silenced the storm with a command, "they became very much afraid" (Mark 4:41).

It appears that the normal response of humans to God is fear. Not "reverence" -- fear. Paul capitalizes on this when he says, "Work out your salvation with fear and trembling" (Phil. 2:12). That can't be rewritten to "reverence". It is fear. In Greek, it is phobos (from which we get our concept of "phobia") and in Hebrew, pachad. In both languages it is a sense of dread, alarm ... fear. Yet, to even suggest that people should actually, literally fear God draws fire from Christians.

The primary source of this objection is found in 1 John:
There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves punishment, and the one who fears is not perfected in love (1 John 4:18).
There it is. We have no need to fear God. But is that what it says? Well, I suppose it could be, if we don't mind reinterpretting the "fear" concept found throughout Scripture. Or could it be that this is not what it says?

Look at the context. John writes, "God is love, and the one who abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him" (1 John 4:16). It would appear from this statement that "perfect love" is only arrived at when we abide perfectly in Him. It seems to me, then, that this isn't saying, "Don't fear God." Instead, it seems to be saying that when we arrive at perfect love for God we will have no need to fear consequences. Until we arrive at that point, we have this promise: Those whom the Lord loves He disciplines, and He scourges every son whom He receives" (Heb. 12:6).

We live in a time that epitomizes Paul's accusation. There is no fear of God before their eyes. Unfortunately, Christians are eager to include themselves in this accusation. "We don't need to fear God; we need to reverence Him." And we fall into the very same category that Paul bemoans as the evil state of Man. Are we really sure we want to stand on this ground?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stan, this is so very true.

I just told a person recently that I was afraid for them, because they have NO FEAR OF GOD! They pray for God to reveal His will and I have never seen God come through more clearly and specifically for any person than He has twice for this person in the last 4 years.

Each time this person has laid out a complex, itemized criterion for God if something was in His will. Each time God has came through perfectly on the details and even added better blessings to it, immensely blessing this person. Each time the person seems to be amazed and excited that God comes through for them and then a couple of weeks later they do what they want and go directly against the will of God as revealed to them with absolutely no regard for God.

Each time there have been consequences in direct correlation to the issue within weeks to months, yet the person cannot seem to see it as discipline. Instead they view it as others just doing them wrong as they perceive they are in the right and actually say that they look forward to the day when they are before the Judgment Seat of God and are vindicated, while the others are called on their wrongdoing in matters.

That scares me. It scares me, because I see humanity's lack of fear for a God who can justly send us to Hell. It scares me because I see how skewed our views can be of God and His righteousness and justice.

It scares me because I used to thumb my nose at God by willfully disobeying His commands and I did not fear eternal consequences, partly because I was misled to believe that salvation was just about a simple request and then go on with my life as I see fit. It scares me because how few teach Lordship and counting the cost BEFORE you make the choice to follow Jesus.

As you know from a little discussion previously, God has recently called me to show Him a more respectful worship that includes FEAR. As much as I long to see His face, I also know that if I did at this moment, I would be on my face in shame for the shortcomings in my life, that have continued even when I know my Lord has paid such a precious price to redeem me. I would be on my face in awe of how Almighty and Glorious He truly is. I can only imagine!

Thanks for the confirmation about that which I have been deeply reflecting about with the Lord. I love it when He speaks through us to each other. He is truly awesome!!!

Jim Jordan said...

Great analysis. A God not feared is not God but a useless insurance policy. When I felt and saw the Holy Spirit that night 5 years ago, I enjoyed it for a few minutes and then it became clear that God is very real and present. Then I panicked just as the disciples did. When it sinks in that God is in the room, one's whole life is changed. Fearing God is not a sign of injustice but an acknowledgement that you know He's real.

God bless.

Scott Arnold said...

One of my favorite passages that illustrates the fear of God is Revelation 1:9-17. Here we have John, the "Disciple whom Jesus loved," and one of the "sons of thunder" - very intimate with Jesus and knowing he is in no danger - and in His presence what was John's reaction? He "fell at His feet as a dead man"! Was it fear? Yep, and how do we know? Because Jesus' assurance comes quickly, "Do not be afraid; I am the first and the last."

One of my favorite adult Sunday School teachers warns us constantly that we tend to make out God to be this warm, cuddly, teddy bear creature - that's one side, no doubt, but we tend to become just a little too familiar with Him in some respects... not enough fear.

The Apostle John knew Christ perhaps better than anyone that walked with him, but he certainly showed no casual familiarity - he showed fear!