Like Button

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanks

It's Thanksgiving Day. What a unique opportunity! Most countries don't have a day set aside to give thanks. And even though many Americans don't know to Whom they're giving thanks, we still have Thanksgiving Day.

According to Paul, a lack of gratitude is one of Man's main problems. In his explanation of the decline of Man in sin from Rom. 1, he says early on, "Even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God, or give thanks; but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened" (Rom. 1:21).

A lack of gratitude, spawned from a refusal to honor God, produces ... insanity. It produces futile speculations and foolish, dark hearts. The result is a continuing decline in Romans 1 until we find that people "know the ordinance of God, that those who practice such things are worthy of death" and yet "they not only do the same, but also give hearty approval to those who practice them" (Rom. 1:32).

Climbing out of the natural condition of "ungrateful" isn't easy. It takes time and effort. We need to work at "thanks." Today is a day to do that.

I'm grateful for so much, and I should be grateful for so much more.

I'm grateful for Christ, His sacrifice on my behalf, and His offer of salvation. I'm grateful for a wife who loves me, for children, for family. I'm grateful for employment and all that that provides. I'm grateful for a house to live in, food to eat, clothes to wear. I'm grateful for running water. (Are you aware that a majority of Earth's population does not have indoor plumbing?) I'm grateful for reliable transportation, for friends, for health. I'm grateful for the painful lessons God has taught me and the comfort He provided afterward. I'm grateful for His promises on my behalf. I'm grateful for answered and unanswered prayer. Where would I be if God did everything I asked Him to do? I'm grateful for the things He has given me and the things He has taken from me. I'm grateful for the plans He has for me. I'm grateful mostly that "me" is not His primary view.

The list goes on and on. It is woefully short. If I am honest, I have to admit that I am too often among the ungrateful. So I'm grateful to live in a country that recognizes a day, at least, to remind us to give thanks.

(As a postscript, I also need to shout out a "Happy Birthday" to my youngest son. On rare occasions his birthday aligns with Thanksgiving Day. On the other hand, I rarely forget to be thankful for him.)

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Happy Thanksgiving Stan!

I am thankful for rebuking, for being humiliated and being forced to confess the things I've kept hidden in my heart. Praise God He disiplines those He loves and Praise God that I understand that now.

And Praise God for my dear friends. You know who you are :D

Anonymous said...

Stan, I quite imagine your family are remarkable people the same as you. Wishing you, your wife, your children, and grandchildren a blessed Thanksgiving.

Yes, we do have so much, more than we can imagine, to thank our Lord for in this lifetime. ALL praise be to Him!