Like Button

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Service

I sat through a mandatory lab and fire safety briefing the other day. They included a short movie. The movie started out by detailing the steps that we used to see at the standard "service station." Some of you may not know what that is. Today we call them "gas stations" because they don't "serve" anymore. They used to have someone come to your car, find out what you needed, pump your gas, check your tire pressure, check the engine fluids (and recommend anything you might need), and clean your windows. You know ... service. I was bemoaning the idea in my head that the concept of "service" has largely disappeared from American society.

Then I walked by a machine with a display. The display read, "Out of service." "Great!" I thought. "Now we have machines making social commentary ..."

No comments: