Like Button

Monday, November 10, 2008

Politics or the Gospel

Much has been said about now President-elect Obama regarding his pro-abortion position. Many pro-lifers are concerned now that he is taking office. What can we expect in the arena of legalizing and expanding what we believe to be the killing of babies?

On the other hand, Christians are debating exatly what we should be doing in the realm of politics and legislating morality. Should we be deeply involved with reforming our culture to be more in line with biblical views or should we be focusing on the Gospel and not concerning ourselves so much with political action?

I've never fully answered this question in my own mind. I can see the arguments on both sides. I think there is a necessity for Christians to vote, for instance, as a God-given responsibility, and, in so doing, to do so with biblical principles in mind. But I still think that the ultimate answers to our problems as a nation are not found in passing good laws and electing the "right people." So I have to lean in the other direction.

I believe, as I said, that we are obligated to vote. That's my belief. I know, on the other hand, that we are obligated to preach the Gospel, to make disciples. That is no small distinction. I cannot find the command, "Thou shalt vote." ("Of course, not. When King James was around, they didn't vote!") No, that's not what I mean. I see little in the Bible about involving ourselves with government. I see much about obeying God and loving my neighbor. I see the explicit command to "Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you" (Matt 28:19-20). (Note that the "therefore" in that verse is predicated on "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to Me" (Matt 28:18). Another reason to question the depth to which we need to be involved politically.)

In the final analysis, I do not believe that better laws make better people. I do not believe that "the right politician" makes a better country. I do not believe that the problem of abortion is caused by a failure of government. Therefore, I do not believe that passing better laws or electing people more in tune with my values will solve these problems. What we need is not "right laws." What we need is "changed hearts." Changed hearts come about by the work of God, and the work of God uses the Gospel -- "the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes" (Rom 1:16).

So I would like to suggest to all those who are concerned about perhaps the most pro-abortion president to hit the scene, maybe we ought to take our eyes off the political goal and reset it to the spiritual goal. We believe that prayer changes things. That's a good place to go. We believe that changed hearts makes changed lives. Spreading the Gospel is a good place to produce that change. And I think, if we slow down enough to think about it, we would all agree that changed laws don't change minds nearly as effectively as God does when He gets hold of people. Perhaps we should spend our efforts in what we are explicitly commanded rather than ranting about the political realm about which we find very little biblical comment. We are commanded to pray for government. We are commanded to make disciples. We are commanded to preach the Word. Perhaps that is a better direction to take.

2 comments:

Chris Larimer said...

Amen! Let's go after the demand - not the supply!

Samantha said...

Thank you Stan.