Like Button

Monday, October 16, 2006

Political Questions Abound

Election season is upon us, and as Christians, we have an obligation to be good citizens and perform our civic duty. As such, we should 1) understand the issues at hand and 2) vote our consciences based on our understanding. So ... here I am, posting about what I don't know, trying to do what I think is my duty.

Here in Arizona we have a proposition on the ballot regarding early childhood education. I'm somewhat intrigued by the correlation to a similar measure passed in California in 1998. In California, the organization is "First Five Association of California".

First Five Association of California: "The FIRST 5 Association of California works to improve the lives of California's youngest children and their families through an effective, coordinated, and inclusive implementation of the California Children and Families Act at the local and state levels. The Act, also known as Proposition 10, was enacted in 1998 to create a comprehensive and integrated system of information and services promoting early childhood development from prenatal to age 5, as well as to support the needs of parent of young children. The ultimate goal is to enhance the health and early growth experiences of children, enabling them to be more successful in school and to give them a better opportunity to succeed in life."

Their Mission Statement says"Current research in brain development clearly indicates that the emotional, physical and intellectual environment that a child is exposed to in the early years of life has a profound impact on how the brain is organized. The experiences a child has with respect to parents and caregivers significantly influence how a child will function in school and later in life. The California Children and Families Act of 1998 is designed to provide, on a community-by-community basis, all children prenatal to five years of age with a comprehensive, integrated system of early childhood development services. Through the integration of health care, quality child care, parent education and effective intervention programs for families at risk, children and their parents and caregivers will be provided with the tools necessary to foster secure, healthy and loving attachments. These attachments will lay the emotional, physical and intellectual foundation for every child to enter school ready to learn and develop the potential to become productive, well-adjusted members of society."

Here in Arizona, an organization called First Things First has sponsored Proposition 203. Their take on this proposition says, "Through an increased tax on tobacco, Proposition 203 will raise $150 million annually to fund voluntary early health screenings and education programs for children zero to five years old throughout our state. The foundation for a child's ability to grow healthy and succeed is laid long before a child enters a classroom. Innovative new science has shown that 90% of a child's brain is developed in the first three years of life when most of their skills, thought processes, self-confidence, discipline and values are formed. Investing early is the best and most responsible use of our resources."

Now, it seems to me that these two are linked. Further, it seems to me that the primary goal of these two organizations is to gain influence over our children while their brains are developing. And I have to ask, "Why?"

Proposition 203 is disturbing to me. First, the way they plan to pay for this "prenatal to 5-year-old" education is by passing an 80¢ tax on each pack of cigarettes sold in the state. You see, smokers are the cause of the educational deficiencies ... no, wait, that doesn't make sense. Tell me again ... what is the connection of cigarettes to educating children in their first 5 years?

You see, this is such a confusing message. Let's assume that I thought that parents were bad educators of their own children and the state should take control. So, what should I do? Well, I had better start smoking so I can help support this program. I should encourage others to smoke and to smoke as much as possible to help support this program. Are you considering stopping? I would urge you not to. "Think of the children!!" I might want to encourage young people to smoke as an early training method of showing concern for children. And, of course, none of this makes sense!

Fortunately for me, I'm not of the opinion that parents are bad aducators of their own children. I'm not of the opinion that the state should take control. That means I do not have to encourage smoking ... and won't have to vote for this proposition.

But I am still not getting the point. I'm not getting the connection of smoking to the education of children. I'm not getting why it is that a growing number of states thinks it's their job to take children from parents and educate them. I see a vast leap of logic that says, "If we teach them before they go to kindergarten, they will be better off." Frankly, if I am properly understanding this movement, then I'm scared. It is bigger than "Big Brother", and closer to Germany's "Hitler Youth" of World War II. Do we really want to hand our children over to a government that has specifically rejected God from their allowable curriculum? Do we actually think that an educational system without any fundamental morality would best serve our children in their first 5 years? Since the obvious responses appear to scream "NO!!", I have to think that I'm not understanding what's going on here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It troubles me as the mother of an autistic son. My child is excelling far above the norm for an autistic child by being homeschooled and staying with family interactions for the most part and some church interactions as well.

California is a state that is pushing hard now for any "challenged" child to have "education" services from birth almost. If you don't want the state services then you are perceived as a negligent parent. What?

My son's neurologist used to believe the same thing that if you did not allow the state of Texas to come into your home several times weekly and train your child until they are age 3 and then pick up your child daily in a bus and take them to a public school...then you were not giving your child a chance.

Now my son's neurologist from Texas Children's Hospital has seen that his patients with the most improvement are those NOT in state/public education settings. But either in a very expensive program called Applied Behavior Analysis ($3,000 to $4,000 a month) or a parent basically doing the same type of training at home. He was amazed that a parent such as ME, with no professional training could actually TEACH an autstic child. Yet he said it was incredible the excellent prognosis for my son because of the EFFECTIVE job we are doing. He said the public system is useless in helping an autistic child.

Of course all glory truly goes to God for leading us into what we should do with my son. The improvements are a sweet blessing from the Lord!

However, from what I understand...all of our children are wards of the state soon as we fill out birth certificates and wards of the nation as soon as we apply for a SS# for them. They just give us permission to raise them (and of course pay for them) so long as we do it according to their standards.

Stan said...

"However, from what I understand...all of our children are wards of the state soon as we fill out birth certificates and wards of the nation as soon as we apply for a SS# for them. They just give us permission to raise them (and of course pay for them) so long as we do it according to their standards."

Funny thing ... I don't remember reading that anywhere in my Bible. I do remember reading that parents are responsible for children, but I don't remember anywhere that the government is. How odd!

It really is troubling to me. They seem to be so intent on taking our children from us while they are the most moldable. These things ought not be.