Like Button

Saturday, October 28, 2006

How Are We Known?

Let your reasonableness be known to everyone (Phil. 4:5).
That's the English Standard Version. The word there is "reasonableness". The King James uses the word "moderation". The Latin Vulgate uses "modesty". Syriac and Arabic versions say "meekness" or "humility". The New American Standard renders it "gentle spirit". Other translations use "forbearance". The Greek behind it is epieikes. The prefix, epi, is an intensifier, and the suffix, eikos, suggests "reasonable". Vine's says, "likely 'equitable, fair, moderate, forbearing, not insisting on the letter of the law;' it expresses that considerateness that looks 'humanely and reasonably at the facts of a case;' it is rendered 'gentle' in 1 Tim 3:3, RV (AV, 'patient'), in contrast to contentiousness; in Titus 3:2, 'gentle,' in association with meekness; in James 3:17, as a quality of the wisdom from above; in 1 Peter 2:18, in association with the good; for the RV rendering 'forbearance' in Philippians 4:5." So, let's run with that: "Considerateness that looks humanely and reasonably at the facts of a case."

Paul tells the saints in the Church at Philippi that this quality should be so obvious in them that everyone would know it. Everyone should recognize in believers a "reasonableness". In this sense, I like the translation "forbearance". Forbearance is "tolerance and restraint in the face of provocation." Note that this use of the word "tolerance" isn't the common use, where it suggests "agreement." Instead, it includes real "provocation". In other words, "I am encountering genuine provocation, but I will allow them to continue on without retaliating or defending." This is "forbearance". It is the idea behind "considerateness that looks humanely and reasonably at the facts of a case."

Christians in America are not known for their epieikes. As Americans, we are taught to defend our rights. We are taught to be vocal. We are encouraged not to be meek or moderate. As Christians in this post-modern world, we are taught not to be "reasonable", but to be "people of faith" -- anti-intellectuals. We don't "consider all sides" -- we're right and we know it. God said it, I believe it, that settles it. Beyond that, the Bible promises that we won't be liked. We will, Jesus promised, be hated for His sake.

I'm not suggesting we should try to be liked. I'm not suggesting we should try to "get along". I'm suggesting something radical: Obey God. We are told, "By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:35). Is our love for one another the attribute people know us by? We are commanded, "Let your reasonableness be known to everyone" (Phil. 4:5). Are we known as people who compassionately and reasonably consider all sides? Regardless of how we are known, is it true of us? I'm not asking us to be more likeable to the world. I'm asking us to follow the Master we claim to follow. I'm asking us to be so reasonable that everyone will know it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for some more brain food. I will contemplate this today. I don't know that I am anything like what you described.

Just today I was reading in Proverbs 30 about not adding to the Word of God and it was funny because I had just been studying Ephesians right before it and realized how many words had been added to certain passages to make them mean something, they do not necessarily mean the more I dig into the Greek. Are we guilty of making the Word mean what we want it to mean? Have even translators "changed" the original intention skewed to their personal beliefs?

So I find this thought you are sharing goes beyond what I have considered and it may very well be a better translation. I tend to think of myself as having a gentle spirit overall. That is a gift from God, it is not my nature. I used to be very hot-headed as a teen and young adult and only by His grace did that change into a loving, gentle person. But is my gentle spirit going far enough? Have I become comfortable with it to the point of not taking it to the next step God calls me to? Hmmm...

Stan said...

I'm always a little cautious of tossing out conspiracy suggestions that say that all of our English Bibles are the product of people intentionally mistranslating portions for the purpose of misleading us to their pet doctrines. I've seen it, nay, done it too many times. I've read the Vine's or the Strong's and come up with what I think is better. I'm not a Greek scholar. I'm not better informed than those who are. But I'm quite sure that they missed it and I'm right.

I prefer not to do that anymore. Maybe I can expand on an idea. Maybe I can flesh it out for myself better. But I'm cautious about thinking that every single Greek scholar who has ever read the texts of the Bible have intentionally mislead us. I've heard many trustworthy teachers who are knowledgeable in Greek, and none have suggested such a problem. Since I don't know it as well as they do, perhaps I should proceed with caution when I think they're completely wrong.