Like Button

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

ABS - The Current Platform

I've been mulling this over for some time. I saw it in the 2004 presidential race. It appears to be prevalent right now in the congressional races around here. It's the latest platform, and it seems to be quite popular.

I'll give it a name because no one else has. It's ABS -- "Any But Syndrome". When John Kerry ran against George Bush, I had no idea what John Kerry had to offer. It appeared as if his platform was "You don't want him for another 4 years; vote for Anybody But him." I've seen it in the current races here in Arizona. Jim Pederson is going against the incumbent John Kyl with the very same "You don't want him in Washington anymore; vote for me" without offering me reasons to vote for him. (Well, to be completely fair, he has given a few. He's in favor of abortion and intends to get elected to the Senate at which point, according to him, he will change Washington.) Over and over I'm seeing challengers who seem to be running solely on this "anybody but" syndrome. They don't offer us anything better. They just know we don't want more of what we've had. They could be offering us a fascist regime. It doesn't matter. Whatever it is, we want "anybody but" what we currently have.

[Edit to eliminate the offending part while still making the point]

It's not just me. I've seen this suggested by others. I drive down the street and see signs. "It's time for a change." A change to what? "No more business as usual." So what business do we change to? Commercials, billboards, mail flyers, so many seem to ask the same thing: "Do we want four more years of ____?" Painfully few ever say, "Here is what I propose instead." As an example, look at the recent brouhaha over John Kerry's remarks about the intelligence of our troops (or not). John Kerry is not running for office. George Bush is not running for office. John Kerry says that his remark was intended to insult George Bush. I have to ask, "WHY?"

So much do we despise the current government that any other government would be better. It doesn't matter what. Are they in favor of killing babies in the womb? Who cares? Do they intend to double your taxes? It doesn't matter. Are they on the side of open borders and automatic citizenship for illegal aliens? Don't ask; it isn't important. Would they like to remove God from the country? Stop asking questions! It isn't the issue. Anybody but is the issue.

Some time ago I asked "And then?". I wanted to know what those who are unhappy with the current situation wanted to do in its place. The best answer I have received to date is "Don't ask! We just want anything but what it is now!"

When the Clinton scandal hit the streets, there was an outcry about the character of the President. Those who complained were told, "Character doesn't matter." Now it seems that nothing matters except the removal of the status quo. This is progress?

4 comments:

Jim Jordan said...

This is progress?

No, it is the slow but sure death of the liberal mind.
Romans 1:21

Anonymous said...

Once again, Stan, you have taken a tongue-in-cheek post and made it say something it didn't really say. And, again, you've demonstrated you judge other far too easily and quickly without knowing the whats and whys of a matter.

And to Jim's comment, tell me what progress we've made under the current leadership in our nation -- largest deficit and debt ever, political influence for sale on Capitol Hill, and increasingly unaccountable government... is that progress?

Stan said...

Brad,
Your "tongue-in-cheek post" was simply the catalyst, the illustration, of the point I was making. It wouldn't be difficult for me to remove any reference to your "tongue-in-cheek post" and still make the point, as I see it everywhere. "Not business as usual" one sign I saw yesterday read. "Do we want more of the same?" another one read. "Time for something different" another one read. None of them tell what they are offering that is different. They're simply saying it won't be the same. It's "anybody but".

As for your comment to Jim's comment, I think you missed the point. Jim quoted my question, "This is progress?". My point was that all we are offered is "anybody but". Jim said this is the "slow but sure death of the liberal mind." In other words, if the best you can offer us is "anybody but", it's not thinking; it's simply change. Jim didn't argue for the current system, and pointing out that the current leadership isn't "progress" doesn't answer the "anybody but" question.

Jim Jordan said...

Thanks, Stan, that's a better explanation than I would have given. It sounds like Brad and I would agree on a lot of grievances with the current administration, but it still doesn't take away the mindlessness of a platform whose central tenet is "holding George Bush accountable". That's not an argument, and what does it mean anyway?