Like Button

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Problem of the Gay Christian

I'm sure you've heard the term "gay Christian". If not, you're probably not paying attention. It's not, as you might guess, a reference to Christians who are happy. What it is a reference to, however, is a bit confusing to me. Here are a few reasons why I say that.

First, the word preceding "Christian" is an adjective intended to describe the Christian in question. Inserting "gay" as a descriptive suggests that it is an apt descriptive. But how is it appropriate to describe a Christian by the sin from which he or she suffers? We don't reference "lustful Christian" or "proud Christian" or whatever other besetting sin as a descriptive of the Christian. Why "gay"?

Second, if the term is used as it is normally intended, it means, "I'm still fully indulging my lust -- homosexual or otherwise -- but I want you to classify me as a Christian." Again, try that with any other besetting sin. "I'm still fully indulging my appetite for murder, but I want you to classify me as a Christian." "I'm still happily and fully involved in adultery, but I want you to classify me as a Christian." Or, in easier terms, "I'm still happy with my sin, and I want you to endorse it by calling me a Christian." This is a contradiction in terms. Since "Christian" includes the prerequisite of "repentance" (which is a change of direction from sin), this concept makes no sense. And the Bible teaches that the one born of God cannot make a practice of sin (1 John 3:9). So the idea of a "gay Christian" meaning one happily engaging in what the Bible terms sin and asking for your approval is a contradiction in terms.

Of course, most who would call themselves "gay Christians" meaning "I'm still doing it but I want you to call me a Christian" mean "I don't really care that the Bible repeatedly and consistently calls the behavior an abomination, a sin, a block to heaven." And that should be its own obvious problem. "I want you to call me a Christian even though I don't really care what God's Word has to say about my sinful behavior."

Finally, it doesn't always mean that. There are those, however few, who classify themselves as "gay Christians" by which they mean that they're not practicing the behavior and they struggle against the sin. This is a good thing (struggling against sin). This classification simply suggests that "gay" is part of their DNA, part of their being, and they are working hard at not expressing that part. (For those who have heard of "DNA expression", I think you'll get that hint of humor.) I, of course, am not willing to admit that they're "born that way", so it doesn't quite work for me. But I'm not opposed to any Christian who says, "I struggle with sin and I'm a Christian." Still, the classification suggests that struggling against this sin is much more difficult than, say, the "lustful Christian" or "proud Christian" or whatever other besetting sin as a descriptive of a particular Christian. All Christians struggle against sin. The "gay Christian" who feels desires he/she knows he/she cannot fulfill or indulge and, so, fights against them is in the very same boat with the guy in the next pew or the girl in the Bible Study or the friend meeting over coffee and the Word or anyone else who is a genuine Christian and is fighting against personal sin. We all do. "Gay" is just one of them.

I don't understand that use of "gay Christian" for those happily indulging the sin while claiming to be Christian. To them I would offer the words of Christ: "Go and sin no more." Or, more importantly, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand" (Matt 4:17). I would hope that genuine Christians would not describe their faith in terms of their primary failings. And I would like to remind all Christians -- those struggling against homosexual desires and those struggling against every other sin there is -- that we are all sinners, saved by grace, in need of repentance and exhortation and prayer and support. I know that some Christians tend to think that "gay" is the worst of them. It's not. I'm sure your own personal conflicts with sin are equally as loathsome. You know, "Take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye" (Matt 7:5). This doesn't mean that we bow and say, "You're right; please, indulge in all the sin you wish." It means we call sin sin and always seek to restore rather than break the bruised reed (Isa 42:3; Matt 12:20).

1 comment:

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Excellent Stan, excellent. This is the point I have made many times, and yet those of the same ilk as a certain commenter continually defend such nonsense as a "gay Christian." And they wonder why I say they worship a different God.