Like Button

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Disciples, the Sequel

In August I wrote a piece on the Great Commission about how we ought to be discipling, not simply making converts. I had a follow up thought that perhaps might benefit you.

The command is "Go therefore and make disciples" (Matt 28:19). My original post was on how we ought to be going and doing that. But what about the reverse? We are part of the Body of Christ, an interconnected group that is to be marked primarily by love for one another. If we are to be discipling others, isn't it obvious that we ought to be discipled? So ... are you?

It has been my prayer for a long time that I would be given a "Paul" for whom I could be a "Timothy". I've asked people at times, but for the most part I've just kind of "waited on the Lord" as if it's solely His responsibility to make that happen. Not a wise approach. It seems to me that if we are designed to be interconnected and the Great Commission is about discipleship, then we ought to all be in the midst of discipling and being discipled.

So ... if you are not being discipled (as I suspect the case with the majority of Christians), do you know someone you could ask? And when are you going to ask them? I know, I know ... I'm meddling. But I believe that if we Christians got ourselves more interconnected (instead of independent), operated more like a Body rather than lone rangers, and actually became both disciples and disciplers, we would begin to see some changes in the fragmented and independent Church we see today in America. But that happens one at a time ... starting with you and me. So the question is who are you discipling ... and who is discipling you?

1 comment:

Science PhD Mom said...

This idea has come up several times in Bible study groups I have participated in. The idea is to have an "accountability partner" with regard to quiet times, and also a mentor (not necessarily the same person) who can help you navigate through your own Bible study habits, prayer habits, etc. It's a good one, and as you point out, it's Biblically commanded!