Like Button

Monday, December 22, 2008

The Problem of Proponents

Over the years I've had too many times that I've had to defend myself against people that "agree" with me. Have you ever run into that? Sure you have. You know how it goes. "You Christians," they'll say, "you all believe this." "What makes you say that?" "Because I've talked to Christians and they believe that" or "Big names in Christianity say so" or "It happened in Christian history." Oh, sure, you know what I'm talking about. We Christians are evil because Christians a thousand years ago used the name of Christ as a banner to go to war in Jerusalem. See? Proof! Christianity is a violent religion that urges people to kill unbelievers! What more could you ask?

It happens in lots of places. In a recent conversation, someone assured me that "Calvinists believe this" (where, of course, "this" was an appalling statement). Why did he think that? "Well, I listened to R.C. Sproul and he is the 'Grand Dragon' of Calvinism and that's what I heard him say." See? People who "agree" with me. It's the same thing with other aspects. Big names, including Calvin himself, are invoked as proof of what I must believe because they said it (or did it or implied it or were construed to have suggested the possibility that ... well, you get the idea). And instead of discussing the issues at hand from, oh, say, a biblical viewpoint, I'm forced to defend myself ... against my proponents.

Take the term, "evangelicals." It has long been used as a divider, a separation between "those mainstream liberals you call Christians -- but we know better" and "us Bible-believing, right-thinking Christians." If you follow the trends today, you'll find that the term is becoming completely meaningless. The National Association of Evangelicals (NAE) just had its Vice President of Government Affairs, Richard Cizik, resign because he strayed from the Evangelical position. Of course, that might support the idea that Evangelicals are holding the line, but in the wake of his resignation, Christians all over the place are rising up in his defense. Some 60 Christian leaders complained about the resignation and demanded a "like-minded replacement." And now the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life reports that "52% of those belonging to churches and denominations that teach that Jesus is the only way of salvation reject that teaching." And now I'm back at the same place. "Oh," people say, "we know what you believe. You no longer believe that Jesus is the only way." "Why do you say that?" "Because you're an Evangelical, and they don't believe that anymore." I'm back to defending myself against my proponents.

Sometimes it's nice to have people on your side. And sometimes the people on your side are misunderstood by others who disagree. But, too often, other people who are perceived to be in agreement with you say or do things that disagree with you. Then you're stuck. The issues change. The arguments shift. Sometimes I think I wish I didn't have so much support ...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, those are irritating. Many atheists use them a lot and refuse to concede that you shouldn't judge an ideology by those who violate its tenets.