Like Button

Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Against the World

My wife is a big fan of '70's songs, so it is appropriate that I would mention one of those. Released in 1974, Helen Reddy did a song called You and Me Against the World. The chorus went like this:
You and me against the world
Sometimes it feels like you and me against the world
When all the others turn their back and walk away
You can count on me to stay
It was a love song, of course, and expressed a wonderful sentiment. I always liked the idea that no matter what, my wife and I were together facing whatever adversities we may encounter. I suspect, however, that this is short-sighted in view of Scripture.

We tend to think of "you and me against the world" as "when adversity comes," but the Bible says something different to Christians. Jesus said, "If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you" (John 15:19). On the other hand, John wrote, "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him" (1 John 2:15). What we have, then, as Christians is a standardized conflict. There is "the world" and there is "us." Since the "us" designation is often hard to determine, When it comes down to it, it is "me against the world" or, more accurately, the "you and me" would refer to Christ and me.

That position seems a bit harsh, I'm sure. Some will try to tell you you're wrong and everyone thinks so. It's nearly true that "everyone thinks so." Are you willing to accept that position? Sometimes you'll likely wonder, "How is it that I seem to be among a very, very few that thinks this way? What makes me think I'm right and everyone else is wrong?" Are you willing to accept the possibility that you really do stand in opposition to the vast majority of everyone else? It is the truth of our situation. The world hates us because we are not of the world.

On the other hand, do you get along quite well with the world? Are the things of the world important to you? Do you love the world? That is its own dangerous position. I would warn against that one. If you indeed love the world, you may need to repent (change your thinking) or you may not be one of "us." Neither is a good place to be.

The fact is that it is "you and me against the world." Of course, the "you" is the Sovereign Lord of the Universe, so it's not a bad position to be in. Numerically it looks bad, but it is the strongest position, isn't it? Still, it sounds daunting and it can be unpleasant. Be ready for it.

No comments: