Like Button

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Feelings versus Facts

I wrote this back in 1991 to help me sort through my feelings and compare them through God's facts. I realize that we often operate on a faulty basis of feelings (which can lie) versus the truth. So I did this as an exercise ... you know ... transforming the mind. I thought, perhaps, it might be of some benefit to you

My Feelings

God’s Facts

1. Nobody loves me.

I am loved.

John 13:1; 14:21; 15:13;

Rom. 5:8; 8:35-39;

1 John 4:10, 16; 3:1;

Rev. 3:19

2. Why doesn’t anything good ever happen to me?

All things work together for good.

Rom. 8:28

3. I’m good for nothing.

I am highly valued by the highest being in the universe – God.

Rom. 3:24;

1 Cor. 7:23; 6:20;

1 Pet. 1:18-19

I am viewed as pure by God, a new creation.

Jer. 31:34; Psa 103:12;

Rom. 6:4-11; 2 Cor. 5:17-20;

Eph. 4:24; Heb. 8:12

4. Why couldn’t I be … (better looking, more athletic, taller, shorter, skinnier, smarter, etc.)?

I was personally designed by God. This includes my physical characteristics, my parentage, and my circumstances.

Job 10:10-11;

Psa. 139:13-16; 119:73

5. He/she made me angry (any feeling that is admittedly wrong).

Each of us is responsible for our own responses.

James 1:14

6. I don’t have any skills (abilities to contribute to my world).

To each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good.

1 Cor. 12:7, 16, 22, 23

7. I’m a loser, a failure.

I am a conqueror.

Rom. 8:37

I have the power for all things I must do.

Phil. 4:13



Now, keep in mind, for this to be most effective for you, you will have to do the work yourself. You will have to fill in the "My Feelings" column with your own feelings and the "God's Facts" column with the truth about what you're feeling. Maybe, just maybe, you will find that it is helpful for you as it was for me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool,
Great idea.

We always have a friend in Him.

BDG

Dr. Russell Norman Murray said...

An interesting and helpful chart.

Stan said...

It helped me. I was hoping it could help others.

Samantha said...

This is very helpful!

Stan said...

Now ... if only we could keep the truth in mind while the feelings are shouting in our ear ...

Samantha said...

Yeah. Sometimes someone will even point out the truth in my deceptions, and I even though I know they are right, I still don't believe them....if that makes sense.