Like Button

Thursday, September 23, 2010

That's Not Fair!

My friend, Danny, did an important piece on "That's Not Fair!" over at his blog the other day. He pointed out a couple of very important points. First, it's not fair from Man's perspective, the (fallacious) starting point of this typical complaint especially when it's lodged against God. And he pointed out that the absence of God makes the argument irrelevant. Without a genuine "fair" standard with which to compare it, there is no such thing as "fair" or "unfair".

He got me to thinking. You will typically hear this complaint when, as in his example, "He got four cookies and I only got one. That's not fair!" That is, when "he" gets and I don't, we'll complain. Rarely do you hear the complaint, "I got four cookies and he got only one. That's not fair!" Extremely rare. And you will almost never hear, "I got four cookies and he got only one ... take my extra three back." You see, we only compare about "fair" when it is we who are losing out.

I saw a guy wearing a T-shirt the other day that read in big letters, "I Want Justice Now!" In smaller letters underneath it said, "Or else, let it be injustice in my favor." That's about the idea. And you know something? That's not fair.

No comments: