Like Button

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Just a Closer Walk with Thee

25 Whom have I in heaven but You? And besides You, I desire nothing on earth. 26 My flesh and my heart may fail, But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. 27 For, behold, those who are far from You will perish; You have destroyed all those who are unfaithful to You. 28 But as for me, the nearness of God is my good; I have made the Lord GOD my refuge, That I may tell of all Your works (Psa 73:25-28).
Sure, this is just the tail end of the psalm. There's a whole lot more in it. It speaks of the sin of the psalmist (Asaph). It talks about the sin of the people. It speaks about bitterness against God, and how God still held on to him. All good stuff. So it simply magnifies this conclusion.

Sometimes it's true for me, too. Sometimes I can honestly say to God, "Besides You, I desire nothing on earth." Sometimes. Not often enough. And in those times that it's not true, I shortchange myself, taking the lesser over the greater. You see, it is always true that "as for me, the nearness of God is my good", even when I don't realize it.

It's always true for you as well. While we often manage to pull up a whole list of "good" from pizza to patriotism, the real good we too often miss is "the nearness of God". The true value in life is knowing Christ (Phil 3:8). Oh, that we would realize that more often. Genuine good is being in close relationship with God. Today is a good day to remember that.

No comments: