Like Button

Monday, September 08, 2008

This is a Public Announcement

I wouldn't normally do this, but it has become necessary, I think, as a public service to my readers. It could be that some of you are considering this service, and I think I ought to share our experience with them to give you a clearer picture of what to expect.

The company is called Hi-Energy Weight Control. They are being advertised here in Arizona, but they're also in Georgia and South Carolina. Their meals come from a company called Medifast. They are, as should be obvious, a weight loss company. They make remarkable claims in their advertisements and on their website. On the radio they "guarantee weight loss of 3 pounds a week." Their website is more "rational", promising "2-5 pounds per week."

So what has this to do with me? My wife joined up back in January. Now, this isn't a program that I could tolerate. I mean, seriously, who actually enjoys a meal plan called "Medifast"? Everything is carefully monitored. Everything is closely watched. So I wasn't joining up, but my wife seems to love it. Oh, sure, occasionally she wants something she can't have, but she genuinely likes this stuff.

So ... what's the problem? Well, they guarantee 3 pounds a week -- 2 pounds minimum. While my wife has lost a healthy amount of weight and while she is happy about it and while she is enjoying the program and all ... she has averaged considerably less than 2 pounds a week. Contrary to popular opinion, "considerably less than 2 pounds" is not more than 2 pounds, let alone 3, so they are not meeting their promised amount.

I like to think that companies want to do what's right, so the first thing I did was to contact the company. "Look," I told them, "my wife loves your program, so I'm only complaining quietly, but I'm concerned because you're not meeting your guarantee." I even gave them some options. "Maybe you want to change your guarantee. Just drop the 'we promise you can lose x' and I would have nothing to complain about. Or, if you think you can actually meet your guaranteed amount, maybe you ought to be working with my wife to explain why she isn't losing what you promise." You see, I can see how this works. They have a target for her to reach. Once she reaches that target, they modify her diet until she's eating "regular meals". Nice plan ... if it worked. As it is, she didn't meet her target when they planned she would based on their promised weight loss. That means she has to continue to pay for more expensive food that they provide. That equates, in my view, to theft. They didn't give what they promised and we continue to pay because of it. That's what I told them.

It took a few tries (as it seems is the case in most businesses these days), but I finally got a response. A vice president assured me he was looking into it. An administrator checked with me for more information. Finally, the local group contacted me. They understood my concern. They would work with my wife to get her on track. Rest assured, things would be made right. See? Companies want to do what's right.

So here we are a month later. My wife, in the six weeks that have followed, has lost ... 5 pounds. That's 5 pounds the first week after my complaints and nothing since. "Honey," I ask, "are they offering any explanations? Are they making any suggestions? Are they telling you what needs to change?" No. Sadly, "Don't worry ... we'll make it right" simply meant "maybe if we pat him on the head and say nice things he'll go away."

So here, as my service to my readers, I am letting you know to beware. The advertisements sound impressive. The guarantees sound impressive. Unlike other companies whose fine print always disclaims "results are not typical" while people are telling you how much weight they lost on the program, this company sounds real. And, in all honesty, my wife likes it. So it looks like something different. I just want to warn you to beware. Don't anticipate that they will keep their promise because despite their "guaranteed weight loss", they don't actually come through for everyone. Don't expect them to be a reliable company. You may lose weight. You may even like it. I just wanted to say that, if you are considering the program, remember, "Buyer beware."

6 comments:

DagoodS said...

Stan,

Is your wife doing regular exercise as well? Including Cardio for at least 15 minutes 3-4 times a week? Alternating with strength training has been shown to be beneficial as well.

Frankly, if she lost 5 pounds in 4 weeks, she is exactly on target. We really shouldn’t lose more than 1 ¼ pounds per week, or it may be muscle mass as well. For me, I have this constant “last 10 pounds” I want to get rid of. It would be great to have some product that would zip it out in two weeks, and the thought of it taking two (2) months can be discouraging.

Each of us “diet” differently. (“Diet” has become the new curse word. Now it is “eating” or “living.”) Some of us need determined portions, because if we go to the buffet on our own, we do not have the self-control to only do small portions. I could see where this program would be helpful to such a person.

Stan said...

Well, first, my wife is quite happy with her progress. I'm the one who is concerned. As I said, if they removed their guarantee, I'd have nothing more to say. It is the guarantee and the associated additional cost that is the problem for me.

And, yes, my wife is doing regular exercise. (She's a member of a women's health club.) The problem for me (again ... not her) is that the week after I had my dialog with the company, she lost 4 pounds -- nearly nothing since. That's a problem ... for me.

It is the integrity (or lack thereof) of the company that I find disturbing. My wife isn't concerned in the least that she hasn't lost hardly more than a pound in 4+ weeks. It's just me .. and anyone else who might share my concern that a company live up to the promises they make.

DagoodS said...

I’m glad your wife is quite happy with the system she has developed.

Science PhD Mom said...

Stan, I hope if she plateaus long enough she will just quit the program and find something else to get her off the plateau. Those can be very hard to break through (according to my former personal trainer), and it can take a real herculean effort to do so--no carbs, intense cardio, etc. I hope she finds a road that works for her without driving you nuts. :)

Anonymous said...

I also have concerns at promises advertised for weight loss! Metabolically, not all woman are made equal! If your wife is anywhere in the age of menopause, it just may not be her time to lose as much as she wants, no matter how faithful she is to her diet.

I am 47, I have always been trim and continue to eat in moderation, but, my metabolism has changed as well as my physical make up. I often feel bloated just drinking water! Homones play a vital role in weight gain(especially in the tummy region) as well as weight loss.

Enzymes play an important role in weight loss and are crucial to metabolism. We definitely see a numerous ammount of digestive enzymes on the market because they are in demand. (Papaya enzmes are great for digestion just to add a not! :))

Many woman gain weight and keep it on for diverse reasons. I know you are a man who adores and encourages his wife, so let her know how proud of her you are for her commitment and support her efforts.. but continue to nag the Company about their claims.

I just heard on the radio this morning that Airborne is in big trouble for their advertising, which the FDA say's can not be proved.. Their claim is that Airborne prevents colds!!

I mean really.. can this be true for everyone?? I don't think so! Just as a diet can't work the same for every person!!

Airborne is having to recall product and pay out millions for false advertising.

It's the same with how we approach sharing the Gospel of Christ and salvation. I hear believers often sharing the gospel saying, "Life with Christ is perfect, you will be so "happy"!
Yes, when I am continually in the Spirit and in His word I experience JOY and I have rivers of Living Waters flowing from within me.. but life is never perfect for me neither do I walk around with a plastered smile on my face. I experience the sufferings of Christ, I experience being poor, aches and pains are very often present and I am even persecuted for Christs sake!

We as christians have to also watch the false advertisements. :)

oh.. not you, I love reading your column..

Stan said...

You know, if they said, "It just may not be her time to lose as much" or "Hormones play a vital role in weight loss" or "Enzymes play an important role in weight loss" or anything that she could look into I'd feel better. Frankly, if they said, "You're right; we're rescinding our guarantee because no diet works for everyone," I'd be delighted. And I adore my wife (I adored her before the program) and I am proud of her progress and I tell her so. If she didn't lose another ounce it would make no difference to me. It is the principle of corporate integrity that bothers me.

And SciencePhDMom, if you knew how much we paid just so she could have the privilege of being in the program (not counting the additional cost of meals), you'd probably agree that quitting the program at this point is not an option. :) If she can find something that will get her off the plateau, great! But it is, in fact, the sheer cost of the program that has, at times, kept her faithful to it.