Like Button

Saturday, January 05, 2008

Settling our Differences

In a bizarre blog (I'm not giving links to this stuff because we don't need to go there) about how Hillary shouldn't be president because women shouldn't be in any form of authority, there was some odd comments exchanged. Someone challenged the author, stating, "There is absolutely nothing in God's Word that can be fashioned into a prohibition against women holding civil authority." The author's response was interesting. After "carefully" refuting the statement ("carefully" means he offered two unclear verses), he said, "The Holy Spirit causes those who belong to Jesus Christ to rejoice in the Word of God and all its truths."

Good job! As a reader, here's what I saw: "I believe the Bible teaches that women cannot be in any role of authority over men whatsoever. If you belonged to Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit would cause you to rejoice in that truth. Since you don't, it is apparent that you don't belong to Jesus Christ."

See? That's the way to hold a discussion. "I'm right; you're wrong ... so wrong that you're likely going to Hell. Have a nice day." Puts everyone at ease. Makes it clear that you are not infallible. Takes into account that other people might not appreciate being treated that way. In fact, in every way, it meets the demands of the Golden Rule.

Why do we do that? Why do we speak to each other that way? I am appalled that a fellow who professes to be a Christian would speak that way to another person who also professes to be a Christian. The profession is equal. The difference is in an interpretation. People, this is not love. Or, in James's more biblical terminology, "My brothers, these things ought not to be so."

Love between brethren is not necessarily always expressed in warmth and affection. I understand that. Paul uttered his share of harsh rebukes to the church at Corinth. He rebuked Peter in Galatia. Jesus rebuked Peter. Rebukes are sometimes necessary to restore a brother. "You don't even belong to Christ" is not a helpful rebuke when the subject matter is so obtuse. Winding up and punching someone in the nose at the first "howdy" is not a likely way to get them to listen ... which is what love intends. And meeting "I think you are mistaken about your interpretation of Scripture" with "Well, if you knew Jesus, you'd agree with me" isn't love.

I know ... I've said it before. It certainly bears repeating. Jesus said, "By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:35). Is it any wonder that the world wonders about the value of Christianity when Christians are not reflecting the love that the Savior said would be the hallmark of our relationship with Him?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like being prayed for. I never knew praying for someone could be an offensive act until I started getting into these discussions online. They often end,

"You are obviously very angry with God. I'll be praying for you?"