Like Button

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

In 2008

What would I like for 2008?

I would like to see my son graduate from college in May and get married in June with all that entails. That means that he completes his course of studies. That means that he gets a job that will support his family. That means that he begins the lifelong process of being a husband, which means that it's always less of him and always more of her and always, always, always with Christ at the center, at the top, and at the bottom of all that they do.

I would like to see spiritual growth in my family. I would like to see my daughter and her family in a church in their new city that would challenge them all to change their focus from their everyday existence to the thing that matters more -- Christ. I would like to see those two very young boys learn the foundational truths about Jesus that will form their adult lives in the years to come. I would like to see my youngest son finally find a church not that he can attend, but of which he can be part. Attending church is nice, but we are called not to attendance, but fellowship -- a participation in the lives of fellow believers. I would like to see spiritual growth in every member of my family, including my wife, my children, and, perhaps most importantly, me.

I would like to see the day this year that my son moves out of the house and stands on his own. It has only been a few months that he has been with us, and I'm not in the least begrudging him the time it takes to recover, but every parent's ultimate wish ought to be that their children grow up and become responsible adults on their own. That's my hope for this struggling 27-year-old (who will soon be 28).

I would like to see a continuing decrease in crime in 2008. In 2007, many large cities have reported a decrease in crime. I'd be very happy to see that continue. I'd like to see an increase in dialog between differing opinions. I'd like to see a decrease in animosity between opposing views. I'd like to see an overall elevation in the morals of this country. Of course, to accomplish this, the only real way is for the people who belong to God to start letting their light shine before the world. It means standing for what is right. It means showing love as our Savior said we should. It means sharing the Gospel in a world that is already inundated with "religiosity" and is already quite sure they know what "the Gospel" is ... as mistaken as they might be. It means taking hits when necessary and suffering for His sake and rejoicing in that. In short, to make my country a better place, it is in the hands of believers to do what God said we should do.

Oh, I suppose there are many more things I'd like to see in 2008. The presidential election is this year. I'd like to see a good outcome of that. I'd like to see people with more joy. I'd like to see peace. I'd like to see more love shared amongst folks. But, hey, I suppose that the primary source of that is the Spirit (Gal. 5:22-23). So, while these three remain, I'd settle for faith, hope, and love in 2008.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice goals for '08. And congratulations on your son's upcoming graduation and his engagement!

(And Ron Paul a loon? Just because...um..ok. I wouldn't go quite so far as to call him a loon, but...well...Jefferson said a lot of nice things about limited government as well but seems to have made an awful president. Especially where it came to national defense, which is probably the one issue that trumps all others for me.)

FzxGkJssFrk said...

Good thoughts, as always...

I've got a new post up, and I'm going to try to post more frequently again. Happy New Year.

Stan said...

Dana,

My biggest concern about Ron Paul was illustrated when he said something to the effect, "What does it matter if Iran gets nukes?" What an amazing lack of understanding of the ramifications of something as large as that.

Anonymous said...

Yeah...those are the things I lump in with "foreign policy" concerns. That and his views on the Civil War and its causes. And who is at fault for terrorism.

He has a point in that, somehow, but I do not see an alternative. Yes, we meddled. Yes, we are fighting some of those we aided previously. But it was Jefferson who said something about no having allies, only interests. And it was in our interest to neither fight a direct war with the Soviet Union, nor to let one nation after another fall to them. How quickly we forget exactly what dangers this nation has faced and continues to face with a few years peace at home.

Europe's "leave them alone" stance has not helped them. They are fighting more terrorism on their own soil than we are...

Sorry to take your comments a little off course, here. There is something I like about Paul, but he keeps coming back to being libertarian. And despite my own leanings in that direction, I don't see it working in international affairs.