Like Button

Sunday, January 20, 2008

Be exalted above the heavens, O God

Be exalted above the heavens, O God; let Thy glory be above all the earth (Psa. 57:5).
It's a glorious verse. It focuses our attention where it needs to be -- God's glory. It recognizes God's primary concern -- His glory. This is a prayer that God will answer.

It's a bit of an odd prayer, however, when you look at it in context.
My soul is among lions. I must lie among those who breathe forth fire, even the sons of men, whose teeth are spears and arrows, and their tongue a sharp sword. Be exalted above the heavens, O God; let Thy glory be above all the earth. They have prepared a net for my steps; my soul is bowed down. They dug a pit before me; they themselves have fallen into the midst of it (Psa. 57:4-6).
There it is, tucked neatly between "My soul is among lions" and "My soul is bowed down." The psalm was written by David when he was running from Saul. He was hiding in a cave. The king was out to kill him. It wasn't a friendly camping trip; it was a hunting party -- with David as the quarry.

In this passage David sees things as they are. He has enemies, dangerous enemies, who are out to kill him. He is in trouble. And there, in the midst of the very real trouble, David looks in the right direction. "Be exalted above the heavens, O God; let Thy glory be above all the earth."

Most of the time when bad things happen to people, the question is "Where is God?" David had his own answer to the question: "Right here, in the middle of everything. He's my reliable place to stand, and He will be glorified."

I can't think of a better place to stand -- in good times and in bad -- than in the gracious hands of God.

No comments: