Like Button

Friday, June 08, 2007

The Public Rebuke

I don't know if you've noticed, but it seems to me that in the realm of public dialog about ideas ... it is rarely about ideas. Have you noticed? It seems as if we (human beings) lack the capacity to discuss the quality of ideas without resorting to abusing the idea-holders. And I'm not speaking of those of you who disagree with my views. I'm speaking about the vast majority, regardless of viewpoints.

Let me give a prime example. Christians in America really like Rosie O'Donnell as a target. Why? Because she is an outspoken enemy of Christianity. She has a public forum from which to loudly state her opinions, and they are often against what Christians believe. So she becomes a target. Unfortunately, she is not merely the target of rational Christians who are taking the ideas she offers to task. More often she is the target of irate Christians who castigate and insult her. She's a lesbian; how can her ideas be of any value? She's loud and ugly; why should we listen to her? And the ideas that she spouts don't actually get addressed because the person has been dismissed.

Now, as in the case of O'Donnell, there are two factors to be considered. First, if ideas are stated publicly, they become "public property", so to speak. That is, if they are offered in public, the public has the right and even responsibility to discuss, review, and, if necessary, refute the ideas publicly. Second, if a person presents himself or herself as an expert, the listener has the right to question their credentials. So, in the case of Rosie O'Donnell, she comes across as an expert, and she does it publicly. Therefore, it is right that her credentials as an expert be questioned and her ideas be examined, discussed, and refuted as needed in the public arena. However, that doesn't give the public the right to be mean ... even if the ideas offered are offered unkindly. We can examine and respond to ideas, but unkindness is not me with unkindness.

I often try to discuss ideas. I try to make it a point to discuss ideas without intending to insult or demean the idea-givers. I generally fail. Sometimes I fail because I myself slip into this very problem. It's easy, when you feel an idea is stupid, to portray the idea-giver as stupid. It's easy, but it's not right. Sometimes I fail not because I did something wrong, but because, as is often the case, when the idea is confronted, the idea-giver feels insulted. And that seems unavoidable. But I dream of a place where ideas can be engaged without being forced to engage the idea-giver. I dream of a place where ideas can be picked up, turned over, pulled apart, even refuted without a sense that the person holding them has been insulted or intended to be insulted. I dream of a place where we can dialog about ideas without insulting people. It's a dream, I know, because it requires the lack of people who are notorious for feeling insulted when their pet idea is taken to task and the responses, now personal, escalate. But I can dream.

To all of those who feel or think that I have attacked them when I have commented on their ideas, I apologize without mitigation. Some might feel like I attacked them when I didn't intend to, and I should have been more careful. Others might feel like I attacked them ... because I did. I'm not perfect, and sometimes, like everyone else, I get too passionate about ideas and let it spill over into the personal. So to all of you who feel that way, whether I intended to attack you or not, I apologize.

Let me offer a few thoughts on proceeding which should be of benefit to me and may assist anyone else who takes on ideas and people. I have often heard it said in defense of the attack (that's an odd phrase, isn't it?), "Well, Jesus did it. Paul did it. Why can't we?" There are two things we need to consider when looking at these examples. First, we have one overarching rule as Christians. The hallmark of a Christian is love. That is the first and foremost rule. Second, while it is indeed true that Jesus spoke quite harshly to the Pharisees and Paul spoke quite harshly to Peter, note that in both cases they spoke quite harshly ... to their intended audiences. We never read of Jesus going off with His disciples in a private room where He castigated the Pharisees. Instead, He did it to their faces. That is, out of love, Jesus told the Pharisees things like "woe to you" and "you are of your father, the devil." Paul told Peter that he was being hypocritical. If we wish to correct someone (a person), we must do it to the person. Most of the time we do it "sideways". We do it off to the side, not actually addressing the person. We do it in public places without actually addressing the person. Now, sometimes love dictates a sharp response, but it is to the person because it is for the person. So if we are going to address people, we need to address people. If we are going to address ideas, we can address ideas. Let's not mix the two. Love is not properly served when we rebuke people publicly without actually addressing the people we are addressing.

Now, if we (including me) can just keep this in mind, maybe dialog can occur in places that animosity has blocked it in the past. I know ... I'm dreaming, but it doesn't stop me from trying.

5 comments:

Jim Jordan said...

Hi Stan
Can you get me Rosie's address so to rebuke her directly?:-)
I think you mean to say "address the idea, not the person, if you can't or do not address the person". Ad hominem is the most hurtful, but also the weakest, form of rebuke. It really says nothing.

What do you think about humor? Rosie has described herself as an "ugly, fat, lesbian". She is a comedian remember. I titled my one piece on Rosie, a comparison to her opinion of the US next to the lyrics of "America the Beautiful", the piece was called "America, the Ugly, Fat, Lesbian". In the article I examined her ideas and left her person alone.

It is a fine line as well.

Samantha said...

I couldn't agree more.

Stan said...

Samantha,

Something you wrote earlier spawned this post.

Jim,

I think it is always fair to address the ideas. We should save our personal rebukes for personal situations. (For instance, if a person is commenting on something and you comment back, you are actually addressing them. In that case, it is a personal situation.)

I think it's fair to use someone's self-characterization. Since I admit to being old and tired, I ought not take offense when someone characterizes me as old and tired. If I would, I should avoid setting myself up, shouldn't I? =) If I were going to mock Rosie, for instance, with her self-description, I'd want to include the fact that they're her words before I used them. On the other hand, being mean and calling it humor is a poor excuse. (I didn't read your piece on her, so I'm not even hinting that you did that.)

Samantha said...

My favorite verse on the topic:


"...to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people. For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, hated by others and hating one another. But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, 5he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life. The saying is trustworthy, and I want you to insist on these things, so that those who have believed in God may be careful to devote themselves to good works."
Titus 3:2-8

Jim Jordan said...

Since my title was "America the Ugly Fat Lesbian" which is impossible and awkward, I guess it could only be construed as humor. Or else I owe America an apology.:-)