Like Button

Thursday, June 21, 2007

On Prayer

I'll admit it. I've had a lot of difficulty with a topic that a lot of Christians don't seem to bat an eye at. It seems patently obvious to them. Not me. I've always been a bit muddled on the topic.

The topic is prayer. More specifically, it is the effectiveness of prayer. The question would seem to be "Why pray?" Now, if you believe in a God with limited knowledge (like the Open Theist types do), then it makes sense. If your God has surrendered some of His sovereignty to humans, then that, too, is reasonable. In these cases God is just waiting for the information or permission He needs to act. If you're one who believes that your faith can bend God's will because He promised it, so you must get it, then prayer makes sense. You've got your Cosmic Butler who, despite His best intentions, is forced to give you wealth and health because you asked in faith. The God I serve, however, is an omniscient God and a Sovereign God. He does whatever He wills. He doesn't need my permission or my information. I don't provide Him with new insights or data points. "Oh, really? They need something? Well, thanks for pointing that out. I didn't notice." He doesn't say, "Well, that was not in my will for you, but I guess I'll submit to your request because you asked." Not the God I know. So it leaves me with the question, "Why pray?"

Oh, I know the answers. We pray because we are commanded to. Don't thumb your nose at that. Whether or not you understand the why, simply because God told you to is sufficient reason to do something. And we are commanded to pray ... multiple times. So pray! We pray because God wants us to participate in His work. He plans to do something and so He lays it on our hearts and we lift it to Him and He does it and we are blessed to be participants in His work. That's a good thing! James says "The effective prayer of a righteous man accomplishes much" (James 5:16). So pray! And there is another side of prayer -- the relational side. It benefits me to be able to take my thoughts and concerns to my Father. Just the act of presenting them to Him is of value to the person doing the praying.

There are answers, but the reason for my question, once it dawned on me, was disturbing. You see, most of us who ask "Why pray?" do so because God didn't do what we asked. Someone we loved died without Christ even though we prayed for them for years and years. We didn't get something we thought we needed despite our pounding the throne of God for it. We are in pain or temptation and despite our desperate pleas for relief we continue to suffer or succumb. Put that way, it sounds fine. Unfortunately the truth is that our complaint is, in its simplest form, "You didn't give me what I asked for!" I know of no one who would actually voice such an objection, it's true, but the sad truth is that "I didn't get what I wanted from God!!!" is the underlying reason many of us question prayer at all. Now that is pretty pitiful.

I'm still not clear on the topic. I know that we don't change God's mind with our prayers. I know that we don't alter His will with our prayers. I know that we don't inform God with our prayers. I know that prayer changes things, but I believe that mostly the things that are changed are the pray-ers. And I know that God uses our prayers in His work, one of His means to His ends. But how exactly prayer works in view of a Sovereign, omniscient God isn't clear to me. How it is that some people get daily answers to every single prayer they pray (it seems) while others seem to live on "unanswered prayers" eludes me. "How to" is a tough one for me because we want a formula, a method, a plan, and prayer doesn't seem to have that so much. I'm not clear on prayer. But I'm commanded to do it and I do want to participate in God's work, so I'll keep it up. I just wish I understood it better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stan,

I am kind of puzzled about your comments concerning the efficacy of prayer. There are several instances within Scripture that seem to indicate that it is possible to change God’s mind through prayer.

In the Old Testament, we have the example of Abraham attempting to negotiate leniency for the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah.

When the men got up to leave, they looked down toward Sodom, and Abraham walked along with them to see them on their way. Then the LORD said, "Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do? Abraham will surely become a great and powerful nation, and all nations on earth will be blessed through him. For I have chosen him, so that he will direct his children and his household after him to keep the way of the LORD by doing what is right and just, so that the LORD will bring about for Abraham what he has promised him."

Then the LORD said, "The outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is so great and their sin so grievous that I will go down and see if what they have done is as bad as the outcry that has reached me. If not, I will know."

The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the LORD. Then Abraham approached him and said: "Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked? What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? Far be it from you to do such a thing—to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and the wicked alike. Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"

The LORD said, "If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake."

Then Abraham spoke up again: "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city because of five people?"

"If I find forty-five there," he said, "I will not destroy it."

Once again he spoke to him, "What if only forty are found there?"
He said, "For the sake of forty, I will not do it."

Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak. What if only thirty can be found there?"
He answered, "I will not do it if I find thirty there."

Abraham said, "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, what if only twenty can be found there?"
He said, "For the sake of twenty, I will not destroy it."

Then he said, "May the Lord not be angry, but let me speak just once more. What if only ten can be found there?"
He answered, "For the sake of ten, I will not destroy it."

When the LORD had finished speaking with Abraham, he left, and Abraham returned home. (Genesis 18:16-33)


Clearly the absolute destruction of the two cities was a done deal before Abraham began his entreaties. And it must have been possible for the cities to have been spared unless God and his agents were negotiating in bad faith. Negotiating in bad faith would be out of character for a being of absolute holiness and countenance.

In the New Testament, Jesus tells a parable about the widow seeking justice from a judge. Jesus tells us that the widow was so persistent in her pleas that the judge finally was moved to hear her case.

“Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. He said: "In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared about men. And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, 'Grant me justice against my adversary.'

"For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, 'Even though I don't fear God or care about men, yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won't eventually wear me out with her coming!' "

And the Lord said, "Listen to what the unjust judge says. And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?"” (Luke 18:1-8)


Surely no one who heard the above parable could fail to grasp the notion that God’s will is not written in stone.

Finally, we have the example of our Savior Himself who prays to be delivered from His fate if possible. If Jesus’ sacrifice was preordained and there was no way around it, why would our Savior waist His breath?

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." (Matthew 26:39)

Perhaps the answer lies in the concept of the permissive will of God versus the perfect will of God. Maybe it’s those occurrences in our daily lives that occur within the permissive will of God the ones where there is room for negotiation. (By way of analogy let me explain the distinction between the perfect will of God and the permissive will of God. Suppose you are driving down the road at 45 MPH and the speed limit is 45 MPH. You’d be in the perfect will of God. Take your speed up to say 52 MPH and you would be in the permissive will of God. At 100 MPH you’d be living outside God’s will.)

Other people with far more formal religious education than I have been considering the nuances of this topic for years. The Jesuits have summed it up quite neatly: It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Hope I’ve given you something to ponder.

Father David

Stan said...

Well, as I said, I'm not clear on the topic. However, Balaam said, "God is not man, that He should lie, or a son of man, that He should change his mind. Has He said, and will He not do it? Or has He spoken, and will He not fulfill it?" (Num 23:19). God doesn't change His mind.

Here's the problem for me. It wouldn't make the least bit of sense for an omniscient being to change His mind. A change of mind requires new information or changed circumstances or something that presents itself that the mind didn't originally take into account. An omniscient being can't experience these.

I do think that change can be perceived without being actual or even deceptive. If God actually changes His mind, we have to admit to a god who is not immutable and not omniscient. What other attributes are out? I don't fully understand, nor am I adamant, but I think there are better answers than these kinds of alterations to the character of God that we find in the Bible.