Like Button

Saturday, March 17, 2007

You Shall Be Holy

We have a good God. He has promised us peace that passes understanding, love that we cannot comprehend, joy that isn't of this world. He is the definition of good. So it isn't too surprising when we begin to think that it is His primary goal. God wants us to be happy, to be whole.

That thought, however, is shortsighted. The Bible says something different. We are only visitors on this planet, just passing through. We are ambassadors from another kingdom. And we have a calling: "You shall be holy for I am holy" (Lev. 11:45). Jesus repeats the demand in Matthew: "You are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect" (Matt. 5:48). Funny thing, though ... as much as we are eager for comfort and wholeness, we don't seem too eager to pursue holiness.

In a passage (that we will need to examine more fully later) in Philippians, Paul speaks of perfection:
12 Not that I have already obtained it, or have already become perfect , but I press on in order that I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. 13 Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let us therefore, as many as are perfect, have this attitude; and if in anything you have a different attitude, God will reveal that also to you; 16 however, let us keep living by that same standard to which we have attained (Phil. 3:12-16).
Isn't it interesting? Paul says that he hadn't attained perfection, but goes on to say "as many as are perfect, have this attitude."

There is a sense in which we have not arrived at perfection, and there is another sense in which we are perfect already. The "already" is a positional perfection, a judicial perfection. We have been declared righteous by God. Now, we know that we aren't practically perfect yet, and this is the perfection Paul says he hasn't attained.

In verse 16, Paul says "Let us live up to what we've already attained." In other words, "You've been declared holy, partakers of the divine nature, perfect in Christ; now live it!"

There is a sense in American Christianity that we are to move away from "works". It is a reaction to works-based salvation. Unfortunately, works are a primary message of the Scriptures. Fortunately, the works -- the practical holiness -- to which we are called are a product of changed lives. So be sure to "work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to do His good pleasure" (Phil. 1:12-13). Ask yourself, "Am I pursuing happiness ... or personal holiness?" If you're at all like me, I fear the answer will be convicting.

6 comments:

T. F. Stern said...

You bring up a point which many are unable to understand, perfection. In our finite human language/mind we have assigned a rigid definition of what it means to be perfect when perfection is a process as well as an achievement.

As a side note, I noticed that you must have a different Bible than my KJV; mine reads, “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” I don’t see how it alters the meaning any, just interesting to note the difference in language.

Stan said...

Yes, that was from the New American Standard, my personal preference because it tends to be the best word for word translation available.

However, I don't understand "perfection is a process." Perfection is. It cannot be more or less. So I don't understand what you mean by a process.

T. F. Stern said...

Stan,

Look in the way the word “perfect” is used in PSALM 138:8

“The LORD will perfect that which concerneth me: thy mercy, O LORD, endureth for ever: forsake not the works of thine own hands.”

To perfect is a process by which the Lord will bring about perfection through his infinite abilities and wisdom of those laws which He has a complete awareness of and ability to implement.

Scott Arnold said...

Perhaps T.F. meant sanctification?? I would equate "perfection" with glorification - which in my mind is not a process.

Stan said...

Ah! "Perfect" as in "the verb". Got it.

It's interesting that the word used in Scripture suggests "completion" as much as "perfection".

Anonymous said...

Good discussion here. I just wish I saw more Christians discussing this.

Stan, you're right. Most Christians I know (and most of the ones I pastor)aren't the least bit interested in pursuing holiness -- but they ARE very interested in having God make them very happy.

I think it's because we're still too influenced by the world. Television, movies, and music videos still dominate much of our thinking.

One wonders how many of us professing Christians are truly born again?