Like Button

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Intelligent Design

A while back I heard this brief outline of the argument for Intelligent Design. It went like this. If you are on a hike and you come across a rock, you think, "Oh, look, a rock." You hike on further and you find one rock on top of another. Do you think "Oh, look, what an interesting natural formation" or do you think someone put it there? How many rocks do you have to see piled on top of each other before you begin to think that someone is doing it?

The rock explanation was just an illustration when I heard it. In my recent travels, however, I actually found it. While the Earth has multiple places like this, we traveled through separate places that had rocks piled on top of each other in a way that was just staggering to behold. Going from San Diego to Arizona, you pass through a mountain range that I think is called the Laguna Mountains. A good part of these mountains are ... well ... bizarre. They look like some super giant race backed up some super giant dump trucks and poured out boulders that made mountains. These mountains look like huge debris piles of boulders. I can't find any logical explanation for it in science. And some of them are balanced so precariously that it looks like the tiniest breath of wind would bring them down. But they've been there for as long as history can record.

Okay, so we move on. Going on out I8 to I10, we come to a small Arizona town called Wilcox. Just outside Wilcox you come across this strange and extremely brief area with rocks sitting on rocks sitting on rocks. They too are balanced in impossible ways. There is no reason, it seems, for these massive boulders to still be sitting on top of each other ... unless Someone had done it on purpose.

I know, I know ... this isn't the best argument for Intelligent Design. I just found it amusing that I found in nature two real examples of the simplistic explanation that someone gave me a while back. I have a much harder time, looking at these huge rocks balancing precariously yet unmovingly on each other, saying, "Wow, what an interesting natural formation" than "Wow, tell me there is no Designer!" Indeed, I know the Artist.

3 comments:

Jim Jordan said...

The argument is exponentially more self-evident when you consider what has happened just with the single cell. Remember, that thing that was supposed to be very simple, hollow, and formed higher life forms only by increasing in number on the pond surface?

That wasn't the case. The cell is akin to shrinking a functioning Walmart down to a speck of dust with all the complexities intact. Click here for more details.

History will throw the evolutionary abiogenesis theory into the same bin as alchemy.

Stan said...

Yes, working in the location I do, it is profoundly evident. I can only assume that the truth is missed by being supressed. Oh, wait, that's biblical, isn't it?

Factor in to your complex cell the problematic "survival of the fittest" issue. If we were to look at the "fittest" life from on Earth ... it would be the single-celled creature which needs no complex systems like those of higher animals. So ... why did it bother evolving into something less fit?

I can only hope that history will serve as you suggest it will, because Man is pretty adept at choosing the lie over truth.

Barbara said...

Indeed: I know the artist ( builder ) as well! Isn't it amazing how he can make these things so easily, and man takes a long time to draw up a plan, then get everything together before he builds the project. Then, a big storm comes through, taking it all away! And, the artist' (builder) project stands throughout time. Amazing.