Like Button

Friday, March 02, 2007

The Better Gospel

The next time you're at your local Christian bookstore, pick up a hymnal and take a look in the back. There is almost always a Topical Index. Every hymnal I've ever seen has sections for things like "The Cross" or "Jesus, Crucifixion" or "The Blood", and sometimes multiple combinations thereof. And there is no shortage of listings for these topics. There are titles like "Alas! And Did My Savior Bleed", "Beneath the Cross of Jesus", "In the Cross of Christ I Glory", "O, Sacred Head Now Wounded", and "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross". There are whole groups on the last week of Jesus's life, His crucifixion, the cross, and His resurrection. It is not a small topic in the classical hymns of yesterday.

Now pick up one of the more contemporary song books. They might also have a topical index. And when you look for the same topics ... you won't likely find them. For some reason, the number of contemporary praise songs that focus on the Crucifixion is pretty close to zero. There is precious little on the blood, crucifixion, and even resurrection of Christ. There is much on how much we love Him, but almost nothing on the suffering of the cross itself.

This is confusing to me. Holding this information in one hand, I compare it to Paul's statement in the other: "I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and Him crucified" (1 Cor. 2:2). So while our modern praise songs have almost entirely neglected the topic, Paul considered it almost the exclusive topic of his interest. Indeed, when he explains his version of the gospel, he puts it this way:
I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received: that Christ died for our sins in accordance with the Scriptures, that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures" (1 Cor. 15:3-4).
The Crucifixion of Christ is core to the gospel. Is it possible, then, that we've managed, as illustrated by our modern song selections, to come up with a better gospel?

Perhaps it is necessary. Paul warned us that "the word of the cross is folly to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God" (1 Cor. 1:18). All that "sin" thing is really offensive (read "judgmental") to many people. I mean, sure, Paul devoted the first 3 chapters of his letter to the Romans to drive home the problem with sin, but that was Paul. Maybe we've figured out that it doesn't have to be that way.

Instead, we've managed to shift the focus. We have something better to offer. We have a warm, friendly God with a loving Son who wants to solve our problems and salve our wounds. His primary concern is meeting our felt needs. What God is really concerned about is that we be happy. This, indeed, is good news. It's certainly a lot easier to take than that "blood of Christ", "death on the cross, or "die to self" stuff. Now, we don't need to go so far as the "health and wealth" group because, let's face it, the facts don't seem to support that extreme. But we really like the "God loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life" gospel far better than the "You're a sinner and without the death of the perfect Son of God you're without hope" kind of gospel. If only the Apostles had been able to pick up on this "new and improved" gospel. No telling how far advanced the Church would be, being friendlier with the world than it was back then.

6 comments:

Scott Arnold said...

I'm one who has seen both sides. 40 years of Methodist Hymns that in no way matched Methodist Sermons left me thirsty for some Worship songs and a message from the Bible!

You may be right, but I am quite certain that the folks at the church we have been attending are getting much more of the Gospel Message singing contemporary praise and worship songs than those who sung from the hymnal at my old church.

Here are some contemporary songs we sing that mention the crucifixion, blood, cost, etc...

Amazing Love – “You were forsaken”, “You were condemned”, You died and rose again”

Awesome God – “It wasn’t for no reason that He shed His blood”

Blessed Be Your Name – “road marked with suffering”, “pain in the offering”

Here I Am To Worship – “I’ll never know how much it cost to see my sins up on that cross”

Who Am I – “not because of who I am, but because of what You’ve done”

You Are So Good To Me – “You poured out all Your blood, You died upon the cross…”

And I hate to be wordy, but one of my favorite songs that we sing is Steven Curtis Chapman's "The Change", I think it speaks strongly to Christians about dying to self and not being "Billboard Christians":

Well I got myself a T-shirt that says what I believe
I got letters on my bracelet to serve as my ID
I got the necklace and the key chain
And almost everything a good Christian needs, yeah

I got the little Bible magnets on my refrigerator door
And a welcome mat to bless you before you walk across my floor
I got a Jesus bumper sticker
And the outline of a fish stuck on my car
And even though this stuff's all well and good, yeah
I cannot help but ask myself--

What about the change
What about the difference
What about the grace
What about forgiveness
What about a life that's showing
I'm undergoing the change, yeah
I'm undergoing the change

Well I've got this way of thinking that comes so naturally
Where I believe the whole world is revolving around me
And I got this way of living that I have to die to every single day
'Cause if God's Spirit lives inside of me, yeah
I'm gonna live life differently

I'm gonna have the change
I'm gonna have the difference
I'm gonna have the grace
I'm gonna have forgiveness
I'm gonna live a life that's showing
I'm undergoing the change

Somewhere in the middle of that song there is a voice over of one of my favorite verses:

Therefore, if any man is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come.
~ 2 Cor 5:17 NASB

For me, that's a great and powerful message for Christians. I think too Stan, that these songs are bringing people into the pews that resisted worship before because they weren't comfortable or didn't enjoy singing the traditional hymns. I just don't see it as a problem, I see it as a blessing.

Stan said...

"I think too Stan, that these songs are bringing people into the pews that resisted worship before because they weren't comfortable or didn't enjoy singing the traditional hymns."

I think this is the concept I was addressing. "... Weren't comfortable or didn't enjoy ..." As if my comfort and enjoyment is the key, the point, the aim. I'm afraid that a large part of people attending church these days think that "worship" is defined as "feeling comfortable/enjoying God". The biblical definition is sacrifice of self. Unfortunately, it appears to me that the primary importance is placed on how we feel about God and church and ...

And if I implied that "all contemporary music is evil" or "no contemporary music has value", let me retract that implication. You can find references to valuable things. It's just that the focus has largely changed.

Scott Arnold said...

I guess I just see it as a "soft sell", and although it may bother us that people need it - it's just a fact of our culture today. Those who aren't Christians have probably made a conscious decision at some point in their life that either they don't believe in God, or they don't like church. Maybe they attended my old Methodist Church and saw people singing hymns about blood, sacrifice, etc - and then leaving church and not acting like Christians the rest of the week.

In my opinion, contemporary worship practices (more casual dress, contemporary songs, use of dynamic equivalent and paraphrased Bibles) are just what the doctor ordered to initiate contact with those who for whatever reason have so far rejected the Gospel. I've seen the change in people's lives firsthand, non-believers who now embrace the Gospel and have grown in Discipleship.

And the irony to me is this: despite the apparent watering down of songs - the message preached from the pulpits in most of these churches is far more convicting than that preached where traditional hymns are sung - at least in my experience.

Stan said...

I was momentarily confused because the post I have been preparing since yesterday to put up tomorrow addresses this concept. Stay tuned. =)

T. F. Stern said...

Given the opportunity to view "the Crucifixion of Christ as the core of the gospel", a rather negative thought at best from one of His diciples, or to instead pick something inspiring as the core of the gospel, something straight from His own mouth I would go with, “For behold, this is my work and my glory—to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.” Moses 1:39

Hymns, when sung with the purpose of reverencing God and His Son serve to elevate the spirit of man and to open his mind to the teachings of the Spirit. Some of my favorite hymns are not found in the standard book of hymns, rather are from the Primary Song book written in a simple yet clear manner so that even the smallest of children can enjoy and share that Spirit.

May the Spirit witness to each of us the Divinity of Jesus the Christ in such a way as to bring about that change which will lead us back into His presence.

Samantha said...

Moses 1:39? Isn't that a heretical book of some kind?

Anyway, Stan, I see your points and whole-heartedly agree.

Church is not for "unbelievers." We shouldn't be there to "sell" the GOSPEL of Christ! We should be there rejoicing in it, mourning over it, appalled by it, humbled by it. Ever since I started at the church I am at, I have been more edified at the hymns we've sung and learned. They speak about the true Christ and give Him glory, whereas a lot of modern day worship songs are a little self centered.
:D

I just did a 5 day series on hymns actually. There are so many great hymns that a worth meditating on!