Like Button

Sunday, September 13, 2026

But ... What IS Marriage?

The classic line from the Cole Porter song is, “What is this thing called love?” Recently the discussion was, “What is this thing called marriage?

When Scripture speaks of sexual sin, it does so within a clear and consistent framework for what marriage actually is. The Bible never treats marriage as a private sentiment or an informal declaration between two individuals. Instead, it presents marriage as a public, covenantal union, established before God, witnessed by others, and sealed by the one flesh bond He Himself ordained.

From the beginning, marriage is framed as a covenant. Malachi reminds Israel that a man’s wife is “your companion and your wife by covenant” (Mal 2:14), and Proverbs speaks of the woman who “forsakes the companion of her youth and forgets the covenant of her God” (Pro 2:17). A covenant is not a private arrangement; it is a binding, accountable commitment made in the open and under God’s authority. Throughout Scripture, marriage is always publicly acknowledged—families participate (Gen 24; Gen 29), witnesses stand by (Ruth 4:9–11), and the community recognizes the union as legitimate (Deu 22). Even when the cultural forms vary, the pattern remains: marriage is a public covenant, not a private improvisation.

The Bible also assumes that covenantal commitments are expressed and affirmed. We see declarations of intent (“I will go,” Gen 24:58), formal agreements (Gen 29:18–20), witnesses who ratify the union (Ruth 4:9–11), and blessings spoken over the couple (Ruth 4:11–12). None of these require a modern state license, but all of them demonstrate that marriage is never merely two people deciding, in private, that they are married. It is a union established with the knowledge and recognition of the community.

Sexual union then consummates the covenant. Genesis declares that “the two shall become one flesh” (Gen 2:24), and Paul warns that sexual union itself carries covenantal weight: “Do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her? For, ‘The two will become one flesh’” (1 Cor 6:16). But Scripture never treats sex as the thing that creates marriage. Rather, sex seals a covenant that already exists. Without the covenant, sexual union is not marriage; it is sin (Heb 13:4; 1 Thess 4:3–5).

Taken together, the biblical picture is unmistakable: marriage is a publicly recognized covenant between a man and a woman, established before witnesses, blessed by God, and sealed by the one flesh union He designed. That is why Scripture consistently treats sex outside of marriage as sin—because sexual union belongs to the covenant God instituted, not to private arrangements or personal declarations.

6 comments:

David said...

We often hear today, "I don't need a piece of paper telling me I'm married." And that is true (I have no clue where my marriage license is). But that rejects the idea that marriage is more than just a promise between two people. Marriage is a covenantal event and a communal good, which is why it needs to be public vows. We are really good at convincing ourselves that we really never said or meant something we said in the past, so having friends and family witness helps to keep us honest with ourselves. Today, we've given up on the community aspect of marriage, and it shows. It is part of why divorce rates are so high. We no longer have a community supporting marriage, and I'm sure we all have people in our lives that if we talked to them about the unpleasant parts of our marriage would immediately go to divorce as the answer. If our community doesn't care about the vows of marriage, how can we be surprised when the individuals don't either. And the failure of humans to take vows seriously doesn't make vows insincere. God warns that we should be careful about taking any vows, how much more important are the vows of marriage when sealed by the sexual union that joins two people in a profound way?

Glenn E. Chatfield said...

Excellent post!!!!

Lorna said...

Many years ago, I was taught that when we read Bible narratives, we should give close attention to the “descriptive vs. prescriptive” guideline--i.e. differentiating between whether the writer of the Bible passage is saying, “This is the way [such and such] happened” and whether the Author of the Bible is proclaiming, “This is the way I desire [such and such] to happen.” I must discern whether I am reading merely an account of a particular event that occurred or something more broadly instructive. I would not wish to draw conclusions, form convictions, and establish principles for my faith and practice based on isolated illustrations of events that perhaps weren’t intended to serve as blueprints for going forward. Admittedly, I have not examined each of your illustrations in detail and context, but upon a cursory reading, I easily see a mixture of descriptive and prescriptive accounts, which I must interpret properly.

Lorna said...

I am assuming that as a Bible teacher, you are familiar with the “descriptive vs. prescriptive” principle that I mentioned above. (I did a search at your blog, but those terms weren’t found.) I would like to share the following excerpt, as found at a favorite blog of mine (https://michellelesley.com/):

“Broadly speaking, there are two main types of Scripture: descriptive and prescriptive. Descriptive passages describe something that happened: Noah built an ark. Esther became queen. Paul got shipwrecked. These passages simply tell us what happened to somebody. Prescriptive passages are commands or statements to obey. Don’t lie. Share the gospel. Forgive others.

If we wanted to know how to have a godly marriage, for example, we would look at passages like Eph 5:22-33, 1 Cor 7, and Exo 20:14,17. These are all passages that clearly tell us what to do and what not to do in order to have a godly marriage.

What we would not do is look at David’s and Solomon’s lives and conclude that polygamy is God’s design for marriage. We would not read about Hosea and assume that God wants Christian men to marry prostitutes. We would not read the story of the woman at the well and think that being married five times and then shacking up with number six is OK with Jesus.

Descriptive passages may support, but never trump, the clear instruction of prescriptive passages.”


I challenged myself to come up with a few more examples beyond those Michelle provided. Just off the top of my head (there are many more, of course), here are a few improper conclusions regarding marriage/weddings one could wrongly form from biblical accounts:

--A man should expect that God will bring to him a special woman, created just for him, to be his wife (Gen. 2:21-22).

--If a wife proves to be infertile, it’s OK to procure a surrogate mother (Gen. 16:1-4, 15) and then banish her and the child she carried for you (Gen. 21:14).

--If a man desires to marry another man’s wife, he can freely do so by having her husband killed (2 Sam. 11:26-27).

--An unlimited alcohol selection must always be offered by a wedding host/hostess (John 2:1-8).

(I won’t even touch Jacob, Leah, Rachel, and their maids!)

Stan said...

Yes, Lorna, I'm aware of the concept. Patience. I've already written an entry. I DON'T delve into your point in this instance ... just the principle. I DO have a hard time thinking, for instance, that "Just because Jesus attended a wedding and quoted Genesis 2:24 as defining marriage doesn't mean they are definitions." But I'm fairly sure that's NOT what you're saying, so I don't address that.

Lorna said...

Actually, the principle is my point. And no, I wouldn’t say that; I would see “Jesus attended a wedding” as descriptive, while Gen. 2:24 is prescriptive.

But patience, as you say.