Like Button

Sunday, October 29, 2023

Looking Up

When I was young (keeping in mind that "young" is relative to someone as old as I am), the "End Times" was all the rage in certain circles. There were traveling preachers who made their living on teaching End Times. There were a couple who amassed followers who were ready to go on "this date." (Never worked out well, of course.) There were solid preachers who told us with certainty that "this" was how things would play out and "we are right there now." Jesus was coming ... soon. Very soon. Well, the '70s ticked off and the '80s timed out and no arrival was forthcoming. I think a lot of believers just got tired of waiting. Mind you, believers have been waiting since Jesus said He would return, but, for us, 20 years was just too long. You can't stay excited like that forever, you know.

The backlash, then, was a lackadaisical view. "Yeah, yeah, Jesus is coming, but I'm not holding my breath." And we consider that wise. It's interesting, then, that when Paul wrote to the church at Thessalonica about their very real conversion to faith in Christ, one of the key components that he listed as proof was that they were waiting for Jesus to come (1 Thess 1:10). Apparently, real believers wait intently for Christ to return. Paul called it "the blessed hope" (Titus 2:13). James wrote, "Be patient, therefore, brothers, until the coming of the Lord. See how the farmer waits for the precious fruit of the earth, being patient about it, until it receives the early and the late rains. You also, be patient. Establish your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is at hand" (James 5:7-8).

What does it look like to live anticipating His return? Paul wrote, "We eagerly wait for the Savior, who will transform the body of our humble state into conformity with the body of His glory" (Php 3:20-21). Life lived looking for His return is a life focused upward (Col 3:2), being faithful (Rev 2:10), being obedient (2 Peter 3:14). "Diligent" is one description and "eager" is another as we look to the time when we join Him in ultimate union. Shouldn't that shape everything about our lives in this world?

3 comments:

David said...

The end times were so important to Paul that even in his few week stay in Thesselonica, he had taught them about it, according to 2 Thesselonians. We need to find that balance of eager anticipation and living life. I think the off-putting thing about eschatology is it's ambiguity. There are so many contradictory teachings out there about it, and prophecy is so hard to get right, that we become overwhelmed. I'm not sure which I believe anymore, but I do know I need to be better at living like the awesome return of Jesus is imminent.

Lorna said...

Like the apostles, I may not see the Lord return during my lifetime; however, at the age I am, I will be meeting Jesus soon enough even if “He tarries” (as people like to word it). So either way it plays out in my life, I am mindful that my time on earth is passing by, and Heaven is just around the corner for me. Eph. 5:15-16 tells me to redeem the time “because the days are evil.” I sincerely hope I am “diligent” and “eager” as I live out His will for my remaining years on earth.

Craig said...

I agree with David that the whole topic is confusing. The end times mania of the '70's and the Left Behind phenomenon certainly didn't help anything. Like so much else in life, this is wholly in the control of YHWH, and there is little point in being anxious about it. Yet, we are told to anticipate it. There definitely needs to be a balance between the two, but I'm not sure what that looks like beyond living every day acknowledging the sovereignty of YHWH, His providence, and His provision for us. How ever it happens, I look forward to being in His presence whenever it happens.