Like Button

Friday, October 06, 2023

A Warning from Sodom

As we all know, the famous destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was due to rampant homosexual behavior. Thus, the term, "sodomy." There is no doubt that this is true (Gen 19:1-7; 2 Peter 2:6-10; Jude 1:7). Dance around if you will; it only proves a prior commitment to a position that allows homosexual behavior and not a commitment to God's Word. But I'm not writing here about the obvious. God destroyed Sodom and Gomorrah over unrepentant sin, and one of the obvious sins was homosexual behavior. That was not the only sin, not even the only remarkable sin.

If "remarkable sin" is defined as one that the Bible talks about, another remarkable sin worthy of the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was ... inhospitality. Yes, God judged the cities for their sexual sin, but He also condemned them for excess pride and wealth but not aiding the needy (Ezek 16:49-50). Proverbs says, "Whoever oppresses a poor man insults his Maker, but he who is generous to the needy honors Him" (Prov 4:31). The author of Hebrews urges us to "not neglect to show hospitality to strangers" (Heb 13:2). He goes on to say, "Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God" (Heb 13:6). Peter said to "show hospitality to one another without grumbling" (1 Peter 4:9). Paul urged the Romans to "contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality" (Rom 12:13). Jesus said, "For truly, I say to you, whoever gives you a cup of water to drink because you belong to Christ will by no means lose his reward" (Mark 9:41). And we're all aware of Jesus's "as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me" statement (Matt 25:40).

If we see repetition as emphasis, surely the repeated commands to show hospitality -- to give to the needy, to share what we have with those who do not -- ought to make us see that we need to be hospitable to others -- fellow believers, strangers, anyone we encounter. Heterosexual Christians aren't too concerned personally about being condemned like Sodom and Gomorrah were for homosexual behavior, but if Sodom and Gomorrah's destruction carries an important message to us today, the warning that inhospitality contributed significantly to their demise should. Maybe we, forgiven Christians, won't burn for our inhospitality, but we will certainly suffer loss and fall short of the glory of God. That should deeply concern us. If showing kindness to people in need brings glory to God -- is pleasing to God -- as Scripture says, why are so many of us reticent to do so?

6 comments:

David said...

I think for many of us, it is fear that prevents hospitality to strangers. That dirty man on the corner might not be right in the head and harm us for our help, or that someone will take that hospitality and run rampant with it, taking advantage rather than appreciating. Not saying it is the correct response, but may be a contributing reason for our reluctance.

Lorna said...

I concur with the good point you make about Sodom & Gomorrah’s secondary sins. I have heard the “gay Christian” types claim that Sodom & Gomorrah’s true sin was inhospitality and not sodomy at all. However, it is clear from the Bible verses you included in your opening paragraph that He was indeed very displeased with the sexual behavior occurring there. In any event, I am sure glad that Americans need have no worry that God will find any such rampant sexual immorality in our cities! Oh, wait….

By the way, Stan, I always appreciate how you imbed the Bible verses you are referencing in your writing, so I am able to read them just by hovering my mouse over them. That lets me see them in a snap and keep reading. (At other blogs where I read, if they imbed Bible verses, I am often directed to “www.biblegateway.com,” which is not as helpful.) I notice that happens for Bible verses quoted in our comments as well. That’s a nice feature.

Marshal Art said...

There are days when you can't swing a dead cat without hitting someone asking for money. That's only partly hyperbole. Some guy rode up boldly on a bicycle asking for dough. He didn't seem all that needy in how he was dressed. I popped him a few bob and hoped he wasn't a scammer, as I've been scammed more than once by someone with their hand out. Driving on, I came to an intersection where there sat on a turned over shopping cart a man with a sign saying he's hungry. I think it's "his" corner, as I've seen him there before. There's an intersection on the perimeter of a large shopping mall in Schaumburg, IL where a girl/woman had been panhandling for several years. She says she often camps in the forest preserve on the other side of the road, but never seems to have risen from her situation...assuming it's a real situation.

I get calls, emails and texts from all manner of people and organizations asking for dough. I give to a cause or two regularly, with one or two coming out of our accounts automatically so that we don't forget. There are a few causes which move me to consider adding them to my "list" of destinations for my limited funds, limited more so by the fact that I no longer work. This is a test run as a retired person, lasting until after the holidays, to see how we fare (I was laid off about two months ago). So now we're moving into fixed income territory and also facing the ongoing inflationary effects of NeverTrumpers choosing foolishly.

A sister-in-law related how she and her best friend used to dress down, go into Chicago and panhandle every now and then. She said they'd come home with a nice wad of cash.

I don't want to deny anyone who seeks my assistance, but I'm not rolling in it. I've thought of seeking out all city departments or charitable organizations which cater to the homeless and poor, get a ton of their business cards and hand them out to those who are in need, as those groups exist for the purpose of helping those people out. Somehow it seems a better idea of contributing to such charitable groups than to give a sawbuck to a guy on the corner and direct that guy to the group.

For a short time I worked in downtown Chicago for a guy I didn't like. I did service calls dragging my tool bag and some parts on a small dolly. I took the job because I needed a paycheck and did lunch at a MacDonald's when one could get a stomach filling meal for a few bucks...which is all I had at the time. What else I had was for train fare home. Some dude tried to hit me up for scratch saying he was hungry. When I offered half by meal, he got rude. He suggested I hit up my boss for train fare so he could have my dough. I told him to...well, I refused that idea.

Hospitable. Yeah. It's always easy to preach charity. There's no one who can't give more. There are many who can get their own. There are more who should vote better. Our current situation unnecessarily puts more in need. It's done so for some time now.

I see these PSAs about little kids in poor countries with cleft lips and palates. I want to give them all I have because little kids shouldn't have to deal with such. My charities are kids and vets/first responders who suffered on our behalf. The dude on the street? He's on his own.

Lorna said...

Just a P.S. on my comment above: I thought I saw the text for the Bible verses popping up in comments of mine you had posted, but now I don't see that afterall; guess I was mistaken about that.

Stan said...

I had a reader ask me if I could get the blog to offer the same pop-up if you hovered over a word you didn't know and it would give you a definition. No, I can't. But a nice idea.

Lorna said...

I can see how you can’t possibly have an entire imbedded dictionary available for the contents of your blog posts, but the reader can easily highlight any word in your post with the mouse, right-click the word, select “Search Google for ‘xxxx’,” and see the definition in a snap.