Like Button

Monday, January 02, 2023

Portion Control

In one of his psalms, David wrote, "YHWH is my chosen portion and my cup" (Psa 16:5). Jeremiah wrote the same sentiment when he complained about his losses (Lam 3:24). "YHWH is my portion, therefore I will hope in Him." What does that mean?

If you read David's psalm, you come across a startling parallel claim. "I say to YHWH, 'You are my Lord; I have no good apart from You.'" (Psa 16:2) Really? No good apart from Him? It is a positive image of Paul's negative words in Romans 3 -- "No one does good, not even one" (Rom 3:12). And Jesus's, "No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19). So, if we are to take David and Paul and Jesus (and more) at face value, our only real good is God. Everything else is ... less.

Look again, then, at "God is my portion." God is the only good and apart from Him there is no good. Thus, God is sufficient. He is the only portion we need. And all our efforts for more in this world -- money, love, fame, power, comfort, whatever -- is a waste of time and a slap in God's face. If He is the only good, what are we wasting all that time, energy, and resources for? Isn't God enough?

No comments: