Like Button

Tuesday, January 24, 2023

A Dichotomy

Everyone knows that true Christians are "haters." By "true Christians" I mean those who believe and follow the Bible over against what society or culture might demand. Scripture is not vague, for instance, that humans are made in the image of God (Gen 9:6), so true Christians oppose killing innocent humans ... which gets them labeled as "haters" for opposing abortion as contraception. Scripture is quite clear that sexual immorality as a defining practice will keep people out of the kingdom (1 Cor 6:9-10), so true Christians are labeled as "haters" because they oppose "same-sex marriage," fornication, adultery, and homosexual sex. As everyone knows, Christians who follow the Bible are haters.

That's odd, if you think about it. The Christ whom Christians follow said, "By this all men will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another" (John 13:35). The defining characteristic of true Christians must be "love for one another." And here we are, labeled as "haters." How does that work? Some might argue that it's because we don't love. I'm sure in some -- too many, I'd say -- cases that's true. People who call themselves "Christians" fail to love. They fail to pursue the best for fellow believers first and, then, for their neighbors. So there is a valid concern there. On the other hand, the truth is that even those Christians who do clearly and consistently love others receive the same label of "hater" when they simply stand on the truth and point to sin as sin.

The truth is that sometimes Christians fail to love and sometimes haters of God and His people falsely accuse true Christians. Often, I'm sure, they don't see it as a false accusation. Often, I'm quite confident, they simply define "love" as "feeling warmly toward me and my pet concerns" without realizing that it is entirely possible that their own pet concerns might do them harm and love would demand a remedy. In the early days of Christianity, Christians were accused of being atheists because they refused to acknowledge the gods of the people among whom they lived. That's not atheism; that's a false accusation. So we, too, are required to love beyond that "warm and fuzzy" version that embraces people into their eternal graves and always seek, instead, their very best. So, yes, we will bear the false accusations of "haters" and "intolerant" and "judgmental" if we seek to love others as Christ loves us. It's a dichotomy. Let's just not be accused of hate because we do hate. Jesus said, "Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me" (Matt 5:11). He anticipated false accusations. You need to be sure, in your own life, that they are false. You need to be sure that you represent Christ by loving one another.

5 comments:

Marshal Art said...

A constant endeavor. But doesn't it often seem as if we are being begged to hate? That we are pressured to hate? I don't care if they regard me as a hater for defending truth. I can bear that. But when their own behaviors cause so much harm one cannot ignore it...my goodness!...it's as if they won't be satisfied until we hate them as much as they hate God.

I believe it's wrong to hope to see them get their comeuppance...that I'd get great joy out of seeing it. In my head I'd prefer they repent and move away from the dark side. But in my heart I'm not likely to weep should they get theirs.

But I strive nonetheless.

Stan said...

"I believe it's wrong to hope to see them get their comeuppance"


It feels that way, but then you read something like Rev 6:9-11 and wonder if that's true.

Marshal Art said...

Good citation. Not really relevant for the how we treat each other, but I like it nonetheless.

David said...

Really? You don't see the connection between the saints in heaven crying out for justice and your desire to see sinners get their comeuppance?

Stan said...

What I heard him say, David, was that, while we might certainly long for God to give people their "comeuppance," it's not our job and we don't treat each other that way.