Like Button

Thursday, April 22, 2021

Blessed Are You ...

I've written more than once on what is looking like a coming persecution of Christians. I've pointed out that Jesus said, "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on My account. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Matt 5:11-12) That is, being reviled and falsely accused is persecution. I've shown that we should expect it (John 15:20; 2 Tim 3:12). Scripture promises it and our current social climate leans toward it, so don't be surprised if it happens.

I suspect, however, that, like so many other such times, I've been misunderstood. There are those who cry a warning so that you can gear up and get ready to defend yourself. There are those who tell us it's coming so that we can prevent it. And I get that; it's just not me. That's not my aim.

If, as I believe, God's word teaches us that all who wish to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted (2 Tim 3:12), the remedy is easy. Don't live godly in Christ Jesus. Of course, that's just foolish. All followers of Christ must wish to live godly in Christ. So that's not an option. Now what? Prepare to take a beating. Notice that nowhere in that last sentence did I suggest that you prepare to defend yourself from taking a beating. Nowhere did I recommend you get some good lawyers and some like-minded lawmakers and some reasonable judges and some good friends and set about making sure it doesn't happen. I mean get ready for it.

Jesus said it best. "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you. (Matt 5:12) The call here isn't "What must we do to prevent this travesty of justice?" No. The call here is to "Rejoice and be glad." The recommendation from God is to be other-worldly. Set your sights elsewhere. This world is not our home, but we sure work hard to make it feel that way. God has provided something better for us. (Heb 11:40) Hebrews 11 talks about "the city that has foundations, whose designer and builder is God." (Heb 11:10) It talks about the people of faith who "desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one." (Heb 11:16) This world is not our home.

That's what I'm urging. Paul said, "This light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison." (2 Cor 4:17) So ask yourself, what does that look like? What does life lived here for there look like? How would I live differently if I didn't live for this world? How do I need to change to do that? Hard questions.

No comments: