Like Button

Thursday, September 07, 2023

No Fail

Who said, "I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am"? It's quite a startling claim. I know people who are discontented regardless of their circumstances. But Paul said he was content in whatever circumstance he found himself (Php 4:11). How is that possible? Could we learn to do it? (Most Americans would ask, "Should we learn how to do it?") To be contented regardless of circumstances seems like it would be a good thing.

Paul said he had learned how to get along with little or much (Php 4:12). Isn't that interesting? He recognized that it was just as difficult to be content with a lot as it was with a little. You and I call that "greed." How much is enough? A little bit more. But he said, "I have learned the secret." What was it? "I can do all things through Him who strengthens me" (Php 4:13). "I gotta tell ya, Stan, that doesn't sound like an answer." I hear you, but it is, indeed, a great secret. Keep in mind that Paul is writing this from prison. Content? In "Him who strengthens me"? But you can see it earlier in his letter. "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice!" (Php 4:4). There it is ... that secret. Did you see it? He doesn't say, "Don't worry; be happy." He doesn't say, "Rejoice in your circumstances." He says, "Rejoice in the Lord." And that is all the difference.

When we arrive at the place where all of our joy is found in Him, there is nothing that can disturb our contentment. When we've died with Christ and our new life is with Him, there is nothing that can take away our joy in Him. We may scrape and scratch to make a living, to get by, but when our true joy is in Him and our confidence is in His supply for all we need (Php 4:19), we cannot lose. "But," some may say, "we do." Oh, no. We give it up. Needlessly. If our joy and our strength and our confidence is in the Almighty God, there is no "fail."

3 comments:

Lorna said...

I am glad to see Phil. 4:13 interpreted properly here! (So many people take that verse out of context and misapply it.) Paul is claiming the Lord’s strength to attain contentment while either being abased or abounding—I find that amazing (especially in this age of overwhelming consumerism). May I accept all my circumstances (either comfortable or difficult) with rejoicing like Paul!

I have heard the “How much is enough? Just a little bit more…” quote before; it brings to mind another quote (this one attributed to Ben Franklin) I have jotted in my Bible near Phil. 4:11: “Contentment makes poor men rich; discontent makes rich men poor.”

Thanks for the reminder today that Paul found the great secret, and I can too.

David said...

When Paul gets asked "how's much is enough", his answer is "all that the Lord is pleased to give."

Marshal Art said...

Can one want anything at all without being "focused" on what one wants? Is that focus proof we're not focused on God?