Like Button

Friday, September 22, 2023

A Jesus Promise

Jesus said a lot of things and made a lot of promises and we like those. Well ... most of them. Except, perhaps, for the one where He promised that the world would hate those who follow Him.
If the world hates you, you know that it has hated Me before it hated you. If you were of the world, the world would love its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, because of this the world hates you. (John 15:18-19)
We have a few players here. There is Jesus. There is the world -- the system of the world. And there is "you," His followers. I think it's interesting the reason Jesus gives as to why they will hate you. "Because of this the world hates you," He said. Because of what? Well, first, they hated Him. But the primary reason, He says, they hate you is because "you are not of the world," because "I chose you out of the world." Now, that's interesting, isn't it?

Paul wrote, "All who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted" (2 Tim 3:12). Sometimes American Christians wonder, "Hey, I don't feel like I'm persecuted. I don't feel like I'm hated." Some of that is because we disagree with Jesus's definition (Matt 5:11). Jesus said that insults and false accusations because you follow Him qualify as persecution. Fine. But the other reason is one we need to consider. Are we part of this world, or are we outside? Do we act like those He has chosen to live separate lives from this world, or do we act like everyone else? Do we aim to get along in this world -- with this world -- or do we aim to live godly in Christ Jesus? Jesus said they'll know we are His followers by our love for one another (John 13:35). Is that a hallmark of your life? Jesus said we prove we are His disciples if we bear much fruit (John 15:8). Do we? Do those in this world's system see you as something different? Or are we ... camouflaged?

4 comments:

Craig said...

"But the primary reason, He says, they hate you is because "you are not of the world," because "I chose you out of the world." Now, that's interesting, isn't it?"

Yes it is. It seems that Jesus is clearly indicating that His followers, those the have been chosen, are and will always be a minority. That the majority of the world will always hate His followers. This seems to directly contradict those who espouse universalism, or who argue for a much broader salvation than The Bible indicates.

"Jesus said that insults and false accusations because you follow Him qualify as persecution"

I agree, but on the scale of persecution, it's pretty mild. I think that, because it's relatively mild, we think that we can overcome it through our own efforts and not through trusting YHWH.

Unfortunately, I think that most of us in the first world, look more like the world than we are called to.

David said...

They will hate us due to xenophobia, and because we prick their consciences.

Marshal Art said...

Persecution is persecution. What I receive...to the extent I receive any...is indeed mild and I don't whine about it. I could endure much more and though I'd prefer not to, I don't fear doing so for His sake. And that's a good thing because the way things are going in this country, it's likely to get much worse before it ever gets better. So I'll continue suffering the slings and arrows to the best of my ability because I do indeed trust Him to strengthen that ability...such as it is.

Lorna said...

“Or are we ... camouflaged?” Interesting choice of words. Like living incognito or in secret--giving no clear indication of being a Christian by witnessing to others or bearing fruit--that is not good! We’ve all heard this nugget: “If you were on trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?” I can imagine that “closet Christians” aren’t much use to God in this world. (We aren’t called to enter the “witness protection program,” after all, but to be lights.) Of course, we should live differently from the world and stand out from others (in a good way, not by being obnoxious), as we adopt a biblical mindset, even if it invites ridicule and mistreatment. Finding that balance of being “in the world but not of the world,” being a faithful follower of Jesus Christ, and loving my neighbor as myself (even when that “love” is misjudged as “hate” in our culture)--this can be a real challenge. But being joined with Christ through the words of His you quoted at the start gives me comfort.