Like Button

Monday, September 25, 2023

Another Stab At It

Not too long ago we had a discussion about "religion." Especially among believers there is a sharp distaste for the term, "religion." "So," we say, "it's a relationship, not a religion." But religion is in Scripture. And, in the English language, "religion" is defined as "the belief in and worship of a superhuman power or powers, especially a God or gods," and certainly we don't disavow that. So what's the problem? The reaction so many Christians have against the term is, in fact, not in its meaning, but in its use ... or, more accurately, abuse. To many "religion" speaks of a particular sect, denomination, or even cult. And those can be problematic.

As it turns out, Scripture talks about that. God said, "Can man make for himself gods? Such are not gods!" (Jer 16:20). That is, there is man-made religion; it's just not true. Jesus warned that the Pharisees were "teaching as doctrines the commandments of men" (Mark 7:1-8). Yes, there is man-made religion. In Colossians Paul warns the believers they're to not be deluded by "plausible arguments" (Col 2:4). He warned that many build religions on "a shadow of the things to come" (Col 2:17), on things that "according to human precepts and teachings" (Col 2:22). He calls this "self-made religion" (Col 2:23). They have the appearance of wisdom but "are of no value in stopping the indulgence of the flesh." False religion.

What we've done, then, is to react to the abuse of the worship of God in ways that are false, even devastating, and rejected the term that is actually something we should embrace. What's the phrase? "Throwing the baby out with the bathwater." A religion that is deception and "self-made" must be rejected, and, I think we can all agree, there is a lot of that. Instead, then, let's "walk in Him, rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving" (Col 2:6-7). Religion as God intended it, pleasing God by faith (Heb 11:6) and practice (Col 1:10). Listen, they've stolen so much from us -- "marriage," "love," etc. Let's not let them take a perfectly good word that means "the worship of God" and subvert it into something else.

7 comments:

David said...

I've always found that phrase "I have a relationship not a religion" to be inane and short sighted. It shows a disregard for God's Word. What we believe matters, not just what we do.

Stan said...

I think, David, that a lot of people use it that way, but not all.

Craig said...

I agree that it certainly can be inane, but one of the primary distinctives of Christianity is the fact the we worship a personal God who does engage us in a relationship on an individual, personal level. This definitely happens within the framework of a religion, but Christianity is unique in that respect.

Marshal Art said...

Nicely stated!

Lorna said...

There are several reasons why I personally don’t use the word “religion” in reference to my biblical faith:

One, the word is subject to too much interpretation. You illustrated that point very well by sorting through all the various “improper” uses of the word before finally being able to apply it as you intended it.

Two, the English dictionary definition of the word, such as the one you quoted, does not describe Christianity specifically--much less true biblical Christianity--but is general and all-inclusive (i.e. “a superhuman power or powers”…“a God or gods”), treating all belief systems with equal validity. Therefore, I consider it essentially a secular word at best and an ambiguous one at worst (since “religion” would include the so-called “Christian” but unbiblical denominations, sects, and cults).

Three, I believe that when “religion” is used in the Bible (i.e. James 1:26-27, etc.), it is employing an alternate meaning of the word (paraphrased as “an outward display of an inward reality”) (as per my comments to your Aug. 15 and Aug. 21 posts). I usually say “good works” or “fruit” in those cases to avoid ambiguity.

Four, the term “religion” (or “being religious”) applies best to the practice I followed as a Catholic, before I was born again in the Spirit. I see a clear distinction between the days before and after I became a new creation in Christ (as I know God does!), and my current choice of words reflects that new enlightenment.

So I don’t see “religion” as “a perfectly good word” when describing a biblical faith but moreso confusing, misleading, and unhelpful. Basically, I think there are better words for me to use, for all the above reasons. But, hey, don’t let me ruin the word for you, though! (If you use the word “religion” in your writing, I won’t stop reading here; I’ll know what you mean…I think…I hope! :)

As a clarification: I personally don’t routinely say, “it’s a relationship, not a religion” (although I certainly understand what is meant by users of the phrase). The one time I applied that line (when commenting to your Aug. 15 post), I said, “I have more than a religion--a relationship with the living, true eternal God.” The word “more” in there makes a big difference, I believe, and was intended to help contrast the “-isms” being discussed in the comment section with a true biblical faith (the topic of that day’s post). (However, using that expression certainly can open up conversations about the Gospel with seekers and even new believers, so I guess it has its place.)

Bob said...

From the outside looking in...the world sees our religion, the encapsulating bubble of doctrines and ordnances of the true faith in Christ alone. from the inside, the children see only Christ the Good Shepard.
Religion defines what we should understand and believe, as we Relate our with our Living Lord.
Yes i too, want my word back...
But to simply emphasize our relationship, apart from its religion is getting the cart before the horse.
relationships no matter how good, are a tumultuous thing, fraught with peril and disappointment, in this world.
Unlike our religion, that is steadfast, like a rock with out change, because it comes from God.
so why should i brag about my relationship?
when that same relationship, requires sound doctrine (Religion) to define its value.

David said...

I think the problem i have with the line is that, to me, it diminishes what we really have. It is more than a religion, and more than a relationship. Maybe it's because of what my generation did with the word relationship. It made it so flippant. "Oh, you two are in a relationship". A relationship has become too insecure to be a good representation of what we have in the Lord. And while it is a relationship, we are adopted into being related to Christ, the word simply doesn't hold the weight with me as maybe it does with others.