Like Button

Monday, April 27, 2020

What's the Worst that can Happen?

I was a youth at the time when I heard the story. An older woman came to her pastor and said, "Pastor, I don't know what to do. My adult son lives at home. I've been supporting him with my nursing work since he lost his job. He hasn't looked for another since. But now I've been diagnosed with a problem that will prevent me from working. What will we do?" The pastor talked to her about prayer and trusting God and such, but then he asked her, "Think it through. What's the worst that can happen?" "Well, we won't have any income." "And then?" "We won't have any food." "And then?" "We'll starve to death." "And then?" The question took her aback. "Well, we'll be dead!" "Yes, and ...?" "Um, well, we'll be with Jesus." "Right ... and ...?" The light came on. "I'll be with my precious Lord." She went home, told her son she had to quit and the plan was to die, and, of course, he found a job and started supporting his mother.

I wonder about that now. In our Wuhan Virus world where hundreds of thousands are dying and panic seems to rule the day, have we thought it through? I know people hiding behind their doors afraid that Mr. Covid will sneak in -- unbelievers, of course, but lots of Christians, too, who know Jesus on a personal basis. They're making themselves sick with worry and inactivity long before the virus gets in. Especially older Christians. (Did you know that fear actually depresses the immune system, and that a diminished immune system is one of the at-risk factors for this virus? Are we causing some of our own problems just with this fear alone?) I have nothing to offer unbelievers except what I always want to offer unbelievers. Now, as any other time and perhaps more than ever, you need Jesus. Repent and believe.

Christians, think it through. What's the worst that can happen? You catch the disease, get sick, and die? You leave this world of sin and tears and join our blessed Savior in eternal rest and joy? Is it so bad that you are terrified of that outcome? Is dying not gain for you (Php 1:21)? We know better than that, don't we?

At my last physical I had to fill out the standard health questionnaire which included a section on mental health -- depression and the like. One question asked, "How often do you feel like you'd be better off dead?" I answered honestly. "All the time." It set off alarms for my doctor, of course, so she asked about it. "Doctor, let me ask you," I offered. "If I am convinced that there is a heaven and there is a Savior who I love there and I will certainly be going there when I die, would it be sane not to think I'd be better off dead?" I told her I was making no effort to speed my arrival, but I'd be a fool not to want to go when I could. She said, "I guess they didn't take religious beliefs into account when they made that question, did they?" If the worst that can happen for me is the best possible outcome, whom shall I fear? The Lord is my light and my salvation. "We are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord." (2 Cor 5:8) What I call a "biblical worldview."

8 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Awesome post!

Leigh said...

I think I put this comment in yesterdays all good, love both!

Craig said...

This might explain why one of the marks of the early Church was to boldly go into homes where sickness was present to help those inside.

What's even stranger is that there are most likely people who identify as christian who will find this sort of attitude controversial or problematic.

David said...

I ask the same question when Christians try to work towards preventing the end times. I truly hope the end is nigh. It baffles me when believers are afraid of the Second Coming. Sure, some of that comes from the fear of the whole Tribulation period. But as you said, what's the worst that can happen? You suffer some, Christ returns, sin is no more for all eternity. Even in my days when I believed in the pre-millenial eschatology, I found it odd that Christians wanted to slow the coming of that time. I look at our world frequently and ask for Him to come quickly.

Stan said...

I'm sorry. You're using phrases I don't grasp. Some Christians want to try to alter God's choice of when Christ returns? That doesn't make any sense on too many levels. (Not you; them.)

Craig said...

Stan,

While I have absolutely no desire to try to get God to alter His plans for the future, I'd be lying if I said I'm not looking forward to the future of things in this life. I'm excited to see how my kids turn out, I'd love to see wives and grand kids. Yet, I realize that I need to enjoy and appreciate that, whatever it looks like and however long it lasts. Like so much in the Christian life, it's about making the most of life and living it abundantly, without turning the things of life into idols.

Stan said...

I understand what you're saying, Craig. Until I was the father of two children, "For me to die is gain" carried more weight than "for me to live is Christ." And there is absolutely the risk that life and family and all that can become an idol. I find that the more I value Christ over all that, the more grateful I become for all that. Instead of a pressing need, I see life and family and the work I put into all that as a precious gift from God that can be deeply appreciated now until He calls me home.

Craig said...

I Completely agree. For me, it's more that I'm curious and excited to see what happens, than anything else.