Like Button

Friday, April 24, 2020

Submission to Authority

I often have interesting conversations with fellow believers. They often share their feelings on this or that where someone or something has done a bad thing. Like, "The pastor acted without the approval of the congregation. The pastor was wrong." And I'll ask, "Where do you get that?" You see, I'm hearing "Church should be run like the government -- a democracy." And I'm not seeing it in my Bible. And, while American democracy is cool, it isn't biblical. (I'm not saying it's unbiblical; I'm saying it's just not in there.) So I always want to be sure that the places that I stand most firmly are informed by Scripture rather than feeling or opinion.

A current push among many in the church these days is the need for what we term "civil disobedience." The government has told us that church is not essential and we can't meet. And we need to do something about that. When Peter was told to stop preaching the gospel, he countered, "Whether it is right in the sight of God to give heed to you rather than to God, you be the judge; for we cannot stop speaking about what we have seen and heard." (Acts 4:19-20) Perhaps it's time for that. Obey God and accept the consequences from the government.

Let's examine the thought for a moment. Paul wrote something on this, but I'll go with Peter for a change.
Submit yourselves for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether to a king as the one in authority, or to governors as sent by him for the punishment of evildoers and the praise of those who do right. For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men. (1 Peter 2:13-15)
This seems really, really absolute. (So does Paul's version in Romans 13:1-5.) Submit to the authorities. Period. We can all stop and go home now, quite literally, because we need to absolutely submit to the authorities.

And, of course, it's not that clear, is it? I mean, Peter himself refused to submit to their authority when they ordered him to stop doing what Christ had commanded him to do. So, apparently, we are supposed to always submit to human authority unless there is that rare occasion where human authority opposes a specific command from God.

That seems pretty straightforward. So, what command from God is the current government contravening when they tell us we can't gather in large groups for worship and fellowship? What are we to think about these mandates to churches?

There is the question of the legality of the commands. We have, for instance, the constitutional guarantee of the right to free exercise of religion. Is it legal for the government to contravene that guarantee? Well, yes, it is. We all recognize, for instance, that the freedom of speech ends at yelling "Fire" in a crowded venue. Killing people with your free speech is forbidden. We would all hope that "My religion requires that I kill the infidel" would not be protected free exercise, right? So the government can and does routinely impose limits on our constitutional rights. The question still remains, however. Is this a situation that qualifies?

Scripture is clear that we need to obey the authorities over us. It is imperative that we keep in mind what that means. It is imperative because it's complicated. We all have a variety authorities, starting first and foremost with the King of kings and Lord of lords. Kids have parents. Students have teachers. Citizens have governments. Workers have bosses. If you go into a store, you are subject to the rules of that store. It is everywhere. So what we have to understand is that varying authorities have varying spheres of authority. We understand, for instance, that the government can tell us what to do outside of our homes, but not inside (generally speaking). We get that a teacher can tell a student what homework to do, but not who his or her friends can be at home. We all see that a business has authority when you're in that business but none outside of that business. And the hierarchy has God at the top. It is these spheres of authority that make it necessary to obey God rather than men (Acts 5:29) when human authorities command disobedience to God. They have exceeded their authority.

So, is this the case here? Is the government commanding believers to disobey God? I'm not so sure. (I said that carefully, because I think there are dissenting opinions that might be just as valid, so I'm just presenting my opinion here.) I see that Scripture commands that we not forsake assembling together (Heb 10:25). Absolutely! Is an electronic assembly not an assembly? Scripture is full of "one another" commands like "bear one another's burdens" and "love one another" and a host of others. Is there something in the government decrees that prevents us from doing those things even if we are physically removed? In places that there is genuine persecution of Christians the church gathers in small, concealable numbers. This, of course, is illegal where they are as it is, but it isn't where we are. Can we not meet in smaller numbers and still be gathering for fellowship, still be loving one another?

There is the specific concern about sharing Communion remotely. Many point to Paul's words on the topic in 1 Corinthians. "In the first place, when you come together as a church, I hear that there are divisions among you." (1 Cor 11:18) Paul speaks exclusively of coming together. Paul did not allow for coming together remotely. But does that negate it? (I would like to point out that this text is not a mandate. "Thou shalt physically gather together." Jesus's command is similar. "As often as you do this, do it in remembrance of Me" (1 Cor 11:25) He doesn't specify how often; He specifies what attitude to have when you do. "When you gather" is indicative, not imperative.) Scripture doesn't specify timing or, technically, location. If some are convinced that it must be a physical location -- an actual, physical gathering -- there is still no time requirement, so a delay in Communion for a month or three doesn't seem to be a problem, does it?

I can see possibilities that some might say, "No! God demands we do _____ and the government is blocking that from happening!" I can see that this would constitute a reason to obey God and not government. I just urge believers to have a biblical basis for it and not a feeling or a tradition of man that is the basis.

And if we decide, "Yes! These rules are opposed to God's direct commands," will we act biblically? The disciples in Acts 5 were beaten and charged, but they left "rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer dishonor for the name" (Acts 5:41). Peter wrote, "To the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep on rejoicing." (1 Peter 4:13) Will that be our response? Or will we be outraged and take it to court and complain because we're being treated unfairly? I suspect the latter will be the general perspective, and it's not biblical.

10 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Indeed this is a complicated situation. If the US Constitution is the law of the land, one would think the prohibitions must align with it or it is not only a problem biblically, but Constitutionally as well. Gathering for worship doesn't seem to me a problem either way, but I concede that I'd have to re-read the Constitution to see if it provides some allowance for its own dismissal in certain situations.

To be completely obedient to government where it is acting sensibly and morally is one thing. One can say that in times of war...direct attack on the nation...things like martial law can be appropriate..."for the good of the people". That "good" would seem legitimate to most in such a situation. Here, governors are instituting their stay-at-home orders under that premise. The question is whether or not an actual "good" is served. That's debatable with this virus situation, and worse, it's a premise that is easily abused in order to exert unConstitutional control over the people. There is a good argument that such is the case here, particularly when given the reality of what is or isn't regarded as "essential" or "for the good". No church, but abortion is OK. Stay at home, but let's release criminals from the jails and prisons.

It doesn't help the situation that there are so many conflicting understandings about the virus itself such as the very need for such restrictive mandates. "Complicated" might not be the right word. "Confusing" seems more appropriate and how we respond as Christians is as well.

Stan said...

All true, Marshal. My question wasn't as much about "Is it good?" but "Are we being told to violate God's commands?" I actually have a problem with "civil disobedience because I disagree with my government" because I can't find that exception in the biblical command to submit to authority. (If I had been around during the Revolutionary War, I would have had a problem with it.)

Craig said...

At this point, I'm not sure that what we're being told to do regarding assembling rises to the level of violating God's imperative. I would argue that it's possible (although not optimal) to worship in "spirit and Truth" remotely. I would certainly argue that there are numerous other situations where we aren't able to gather, yet don't ask these questions. It's certainly complicated, and I'm willing to extend a fair amount of grace to others because I don't see it as cut and dried.

As for communion, I know that some denominations require that one be ordained to serve communion. I'm not sure that's necessarily Biblical. Many churches serve communion to those who can't get out, does that negate or diminish the value of communion? When we engage in communion are we celebrating communion with God, or communion with those who make up The Church? What if I'm traveling with friends and we decide to engage in a worship service and serve communion, is this somehow invalid?

I'm not asking these questions necessarily to you, Stan, but simply to probe why people would find online communion problematic, while accepting the options I've asked about. Obviously, this gets trickier of Roman Catholics, and I'm not really including them in this discussion.

Your position on Civil Disobedience is interesting. Mostly because it seems to come down to degrees. Clearly the Confessing Church was right to oppose the government of Hitler because he was obviously asking for them to go against God's law. But, it seems like an argument of degrees, instead of something cut and dried.

Craig said...

"The pastor acted without the approval of the congregation. The pastor was wrong." And I'll ask, "Where do you get that?" You see, I'm hearing "Church should be run like the government -- a democracy." And I'm not seeing it in my Bible."

I'm curious about this statement as well. It seems as though you are suggesting that Churches that organize under any system that invests the power in the congregation or in the representatives of the congregation doesn't pass Biblical muster. Am I misunderstanding your point?

David said...

I wonder if disobeying the government today and gathering for church would have the same effect as the disciples disobeying the command to not preach. They rejoiced because their suffering was bringing glory to God. If we were to accept our punishment and not rage against the unfairness, would our world today see that as a good thing or bring glory to God? I fear our world has become so desensitised to God that disobedience now would only turn them further from Him. I think that if we don't talk like Luther and stand on sound reason and Scripture, we won't be bringing glory to God and that is a sin.

Stan said...

Yes, Craig, all good questions and difficult lines of thought. No, I'm not saying that a congregational church "doesn't pass biblical muster." I'm saying that I can't get upset about a church that is NOT a democracy because I don't find that mandate in the Bible. (There are references to "They were all in agreement" (like Acts 6:5) suggesting that at least it was brought before the church.

Stan said...

David, it says they rejoiced because they were deemed worthy (by God) to suffer shame for Christ. Did it bring God glory? That is, did they do it so that the world around them would see that they were different and turn to God? I don't think so. I wouldn't suggest it today, either. Might some respond to such a response to suffering for Christ by coming to Christ? Maybe. But I don't even think those around them knew they were rejoicing over their suffering.

Craig said...

David,

Excellent point. Although I suspect it mostly applies to those of us in the first world though.


Stan,

OK, I understand. It sounded like you were advocating a church organization that was led by an individual or small group of people.

I see the Biblical guidelines as broad enough to allow for a degree of variation in governance. Although growing up Presbyterian, I'm partial to that sort of representative governance.

Your last comment makes a lot of sense as well.

Stan said...

I can find biblical guidelines for leadership by a group of men (called "elders" or "overseers" or the like) and I can see references to "all in agreement." I can't find a biblical model where a single leader runs a church.

Craig said...

That’s what I see also, I just misunderstood your original point.