Like Button

Sunday, November 05, 2017

Drops in the Ocean

Hawk Nelson sings a popular song, Drops in the Ocean, that starts with "I want you as you are, not as you ought to be." I, of course, question that. I mean, sure, we come to Him as we are, but is it not a given that He wants us as we ought to be? Even Nelson sings, "I'm the only love that changes you." So He does want us as we ought to be. And my point is that we are not as we ought to be ... and He wants to bring us there.

That stuff, however, is not my ultimate reason for mentioning the song. My point is this phrase in the chorus (the title phrase):
If you could count the times I'd say you are forgiven
It's more than the drops in the ocean
The drops in the ocean.
Really? That's a lot of drops. Or, rather, it speaks of a lot of sin to be forgiven ... and a lot of forgiveness dispensed. And it speaks of the immensity and perfection of the price paid by my Savior. Now, I don't really know Hawk Nelson, his theology, or his doctrine. What I do know is that, given the wages of sin (Rom 6:23), we've sinned much. And those who are forgiven much love much (Luke 7:47).

Most of us think that we're bad, but not all that bad. Scripture appears to disagree. I think that the magnitude of our sin -- my sin -- as suggested in the song is accurate. I think that we don't normally think so, but I think it is. And it is because of the magnitude of my sin, bigger than I imagine, that my view of His grace and mercy is so large. Forgive a slight? Human. Forgive a grievous sin? Noble. Forgive what I've done against my God? Astounding. Incomprehensible. I don't have the adjectives to express it. It makes me want to shout praises to the glory of God.

Some people complain that it seems like an eternity in heaven praising God will be boring. I'm only concerned that it won't be enough time.

No comments: