Like Button

Monday, November 20, 2017

A Lousy Pray-er

I'm sure you've been there. In a group or with a friend. "Will you pray for me?" they ask and then give you a reason, a crisis, a decision, something that they need prayer for. All well and good ... the kind of thing we're supposed to do. It's just that ... well ... I'm a lousy pray-er.

Oh, it's not that I don't know how to pray. Nor is it that I don't pray much. No, it's that I don't pray like I'm supposed to. You know. We're supposed to pray for health and wealth and comfort and protection and all that good stuff. "Dear God, heal" or "protect" or "give" or "speak to" or some such. I don't do that very well.

I never pray for comfort when discomfort might be better. I never ask for healing when pain might be preferred. I don't ask for shielding when exposure might be the best thing. What I want is God's will, and we know that God's will includes suffering. We know that God uses the sin of others for good (Gen 50:19-21). We know that trials produce completeness (James 1:1-5). We know that suffering for Christ is God's will (1 Peter 3:17; 1 Peter 4:17-19).

So when I pray, I don't ask for "pleasant". I ask for the best. If that's healing, good enough. If not, bring it on. If that's comfort and protection, that's good. If not, I want what's better. Health and wealth and socially secure is all fine and good, and I'd thank Him if He gave it, but my deepest longing is for His will. And when I pray for others, I want what's best for them, too.

So, if you ask me to pray for you and don't like it if I might pray for something other than what you're hoping for, don't ask me. Sorry. I want what's best. Best for me and best for you. Unfortunately that may not always be the most pleasant. Fair warning.

No comments: