Like Button

Friday, November 03, 2017

Cessationism

There is a group of people in the Christian realm that call themselves cessationists. If you haven't heard the term or don't know the concept, let me fill you in. Cessationism is the principle that the miraculous gifts (usually referred to as the "sign gifts") of the Spirit were only conferred in the New Testament time period, solely for the purpose of establishing the early church, and ended when the Scripture was in place. The view is in contrast with continuationism which holds the opposite -- these gifts continue today.

Back in 2013 John MacArthur had a conference titled Strange Fire. The title is a reference to the "strange fire" offered by Aaron's sons, Nadab and Abihu, for which God killed them (Lev 10:1-3). MacArthur's conference included names like R.C. Sproul and Joni Eareckson Tada, to name a couple. You can find a thorough argument for the case of the cessationists there. (You can still hear the messages on that link I included.) Thomas Schreiner offers his own explanation of "Why I am a Cessationist" on the Gospel Coalition website. The arguments are there.

Of course, there are many (read "all pentecostals and charismatics for starters") who vehemently protest the position. "Of course those gifts haven't stopped. Just look at folks like Benny Hinn and the like." Probably not the best argument. Others are less reactionary. John Piper refused to agree with the cessationists. He characterized himself as open to the gifts, but not advocating them. On the same day that Schreiner's piece on being a cessationist came out, Sam Storm gave his Why I am a Continuationist article.

Me? I would say, "Yes and no." Am I a continuationist? Yes. That is, I do not find the biblical arguments that miraculous spiritual gifts ceased to be a convincing argument. Too vague. Not clear enough. "Oh, then you believe that the miraculous gifts continue?" No ... not really. "Er ... how's that?" Look, I don't find the biblical arguments convincing. I don't really see a clear indication that the miraculous gifts have ended. And what are miraculous gifts? Who gets to decide? On the other hand, I have never seen those kinds of gifts exercised in my lifetime. Not once. Ever. I've looked. I've asked. I've tried. But when I look at what tongues or healing or the like look like in Scripture and then compare that to what I've seen, it has never been like what it looks like in God's Word. As a simple example, at no time have I ever been in a church where "If anyone speaks in a tongue, it should be by two or at the most three, and each in turn, and one must interpret; but if there is no interpreter, he must keep silent in the church; and let him speak to himself and to God." (1 Cor 14:27-28) Not ever. So while I see no biblical principle that will convince me that tongues have ended, I also see no modern practices that tell me they haven't.

I'm not hard over on this. I haven't been everywhere and seen everything. I'm still open to biblical positions one way or the other. But I'm in this middle ground where I can't see that they've ended and I can't see that they've continued. So what does that make me? Bicessational? Both? Neither? I don't know.

5 comments:

Bob said...

If the spiritual gifts were given for a purpose, and the purpose has been fulfilled, then it stands to reason that there is no longer a need to have them. it is my opinion, that all gifts had three purposes. 1. Glorify God. 2. Demonstrate God's Power or presence. 3. Edify the body of believers. although i am suspicious of the grand demonstrations that are occurring today on TV by the charismatic types. i do believe that all children of God are given gifts of the Spirit. the are predominately, patience, kindness, self control, wisdom, and illumination of God's word. these gifts may not be as spectacular as healing or raising the dead. but in a way they do heal, and do raise the dead. they sooth and heal the broken hearts of God's children and are instrumental in calling the dead to life in Christ.

Craig said...

I’m with you on this, I don’t think there is a warrant to say definitely that they’ve ceased, yet they certainly fill a different role now than during the early church.

Stan said...

I don't understand any of the cessationists to believe that all gifts have ended; just the sign gifts. So I think on that we're all still agreed. The Spirit still gives gifts.

Craig, you say the fill a different role now. I think Bob's three purposes are the same today. Have you seen a biblical "sign gift" that meets the biblical criteria in use today? (A curiosity question, not a challenge. I read someone else who said they had.)

Craig said...

Let me re state that. I think the need during the early church was for the miracles in order to give credibility to the apostles teaching. Now we have more credible witness and the sign gifts aren’t as needed in that sense.

I have seen a couple of things that certainly appeared to be in that category, but I wouldn’t make any definitive claims about them.

I do think we agree, I just didn’t express myself well.

Stan said...

Got it. Thanks.