Like Button

Monday, July 03, 2017

Not What You Want

I saw a young man the other day with a t-shirt that said, "Only God can judge me."

I couldn't help it. I thought of Jesus's words. "He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." (John 3:18)

Now, maybe that makes someone feel better, but I don't think that's what's in mind with that saying. I'm not at all sure that any of us want God's judgment. Better think again.

7 comments:

David said...

What makes it worse is he probably meant he's going to do what he wants despite what anyone may say.

Stan said...

I'm sure it wasn't intended as, "You can't judge me because I'm looking forward to God doing it."

Craig said...

What if he means that he is going to live life on his terms and presumes that God will judge him according to the standards he thinks are fair.

Stan said...

I think that's accurate. I think he will do whatever it is he wants to do. He will set aside God's declared judgment in favor of his own version.

Imagine the audacity of "God will judge me according to my standards."

Craig said...

There's a sense in which, it could be taken as honestly saying "I'll live my life how I want, and I'll take whatever the judgement is.". It seems slightly more appropriate than those who deny that God will judge.

Stan said...

I see. Yes, I'm sure there are people who say, "I'm going to live my life my way and if God feels the need to judge me for it, I'll take it." That, in fact, was the original point of the post. "You don't want that." "Who can stand before His indignation? Who can endure the burning of His anger?" (Nahum 1:6) But I'm quite sure that the saying is not proudly saying, "I will live life on my terms." It is saying, "You don't have the right to judge me." And warning people that they are in danger is part of our primary calling.

Craig said...

I agree that it will likely be unpleasant for those folks, it just seems more honest than denying the existence of judgement.