Like Button

Sunday, April 19, 2015

The Good News

Easter was just a couple of weeks ago. I have an admission to make. I'm not a big "go to church on Easter" fan. I mean, look, you know how that's going to go. "Invite your friends! Bring a crowd! We'll present the Gospel." Because, of course, Easter and Christmas are the two "big days" for churches and it only makes sense that you take your best shot at all these people who come in just once or twice a year. And, to tell you the truth, I've heard it already. I know the Gospel. You're not going to tell me something new.

But then I thought about it. Paul classified himself as "an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God" (Rom 1:1). He told the Corinthians, "Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void." (1 Cor 1:17) I mean, seriously, Paul ... you couldn't at least use cleverness of speech? Just ... the gospel? Yes, just the gospel. Very clear. Very concise. "I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified." (1 Cor 2:2) Very simple. He gives his gospel presentation in the 15th chapter of his epistle to the church at Corinth.
Now I make known to you, brethren, the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received, in which also you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast the word which I preached to you, unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve. After that He appeared to more than five hundred brethren at one time, most of whom remain until now, but some have fallen asleep; then He appeared to James, then to all the apostles; and last of all, as to one untimely born, He appeared to me also. (1 Cor 15:1-8)
Not a lot there, is it? Christ crucified and resurrected. The gospel.

And I begin to realize that there is no such thing as "I know the Gospel" or "heard it too much." It is, as a matter of fact, our primary message (Mark 16:15). All that stuff about theology and doctrine, about the reliability of the Word and the Sovereignty of God and all that ... it's good stuff, sure, but it's all secondary. And when I start to lose interest in the Gospel because I think "I know the Gospel" or "I've heard it too much", then I am loosing myself from the fundamental moorings of Christianity.

It is embarrassing that so many Christians don't know the Gospel. They can't articulate it. That's sad. Because it was Christ's first concern. But equally sad is the Christian who find himself bored with it. Because it's was Christ's first concern, and because it's Good News. Kind of like the kid who says, "Disneyland is boring", which says more about the kid than the place. There is no better news than Christ crucified and resurrected. Indeed, that's why we meet every Sunday.

2 comments:

David said...

I have often found Easter services to be refreshing, if a little cramped. It amazes me how I forget it during the intervening weeks and months. Though I did used to attend a church that refreshed the gospel weekly. We may know it, but for some reason we seem to either we know it. Sometimes I hate being human.

David said...

That meant to read "We may know it, but for some reason we seem to forget we know it."