Like Button

Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Looking in Wrong Places

So, there I am, reading through advertisements on various Christian books that I might enjoy, and I come across this -- the Jesus Calling Devotional Bible ... in New King James, no less. Brothers and sisters, we have arrived.

Maybe you're not aware of this cultural phenomenon. Jesus Calling is a bestseller by Sarah Young. On Amazon it has a 5-star average, touting it as "Uniquely inspired treasures from heaven for every day of the year by missionary Sarah Young." Note the word, "inspired". Sarah is a third-generation missionary to Japan with degrees from a Presbyterian seminary. Her book is a "devotional", an encouragement to experience the Presence of God (because in her book "Presence" is always capitalized). Good stuff, you know. Grow closer to God. Feel His presence. That sort of thing. Seeking a closer relationship with God, she read God Calling, a book by two "listeners" in the 1930s. These two women sat patiently with pencil and paper in hand writing down whatever God would say to them. And thus began Sarah's quest not to merely know God through His Word, but to achieve direct and unique communication with Jesus Himself. And she achieved it! The book, then, is about Jesus speaking directly through her -- new revelations from God.

Now, perhaps you, dear reader, don't find that of any concern. In fact, you might even want to experience the same thing. But have you examined the ramifications? When God inspired (there's that word again) Paul to write, "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her" (Eph 5:25) (as an example), it was directly from God and, as such, a mandate. That is, any believing husband wishing to follow God is required to love his wife as Christ loved the church. When God breathes something, it is true and binding. Or, consider the question from another direction. Many Christians debate the inerrancy of Scripture; this is the other question -- the sufficiency of Scripture. When God breathed His Word to those whom He inspired to write, did He do a complete job? Or is there something ... lacking?

And this is where we get to in the end. Here's the message we are sending with the Jesus Calling Devotional Bible. "Folks, the Bible is not enough. God has more to say. You can obtain better info -- more personal God-breathed messages. So buy this Bible to see how you can get more than this Bible can offer you. Because why would you think that God did what He set out to do when He inspired the Word of God?" Can you say "cognitive dissonance"?

4 comments:

Danny Wright said...

The Bible is boring. It just talks about sin, and the wrath of God and all that sort of boring stuff. It doesn't even give us the true picture of Jesus. Everyone knows that Jesus loved everyone where they were. He only hated all those guys running around trying to get everyone more religious and stuff. With this book, God has given us a picture of the real Jesus... our best friend who only wants us to feel good about ourselves. Right?

Stan said...

You know, Danny, I never thought of it that way. Thanks for the enlightenment!

Anonymous said...

When you're reading the Bible, does the Holy Spirit speak to you? If your answer is yes, my next question would be: What does the Holy Spirit say to you?

Maybe people don't need the Jesus Calling Devotional Bible. Maybe they don't need Christian bloggers extraneous Bible commentary either. Maybe people can just quote Bible verses at each other. Efficient and sufficient.

Where shall we start? Ephesians 3? Or perhaps 1 Corinthians 6 or 1 Thessalonians 5?

1 Corinthians 13

King James Version (KJV)

13 Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.

2 And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing.

3 And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,

5 Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;

6 Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;

7 Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8 Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.

9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.

10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

13 And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.


I'm glad I found your blog, even though it's not the Bible. God bless you and keep you in peace.

Stan said...

I suppose you missed my point. The Jesus Calling concept is designed to add to, to enhance, perhaps even to counter Scripture. It's not the same thing as a teacher telling you, "This is what it means" or the Holy Spirit telling you, "Because it says that, you need to ...". It's "listening for Jesus" to tell you, "I have more for you than what you read here ... perhaps even corrections." That's a problem.