Like Button

Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Where do you come up with this?

At various times in various circumstances people will, in person or online, see what I have to say and ask, "Where do you come up with this?" or something like it. Of course, typically it isn't with a sense of admiration (there's a shock, eh?), but disdain. But the reason for the question isn't important. I think the question deserves to be answered.

When I express an opinion on, say, politics or current events, it will sometimes be from ... personal opinion. Nothing more. How do I feel about gun control? Trying to correlate "gun control" to "What does the Word say on the issue?" isn't very easy (if it is possible at all), so it's just my opinion. Who should be voted into office? Typically just my opinion. Take it or leave it.

More often, however, the question is asked about the "outrageous" claims I make. While almost everyone knows that what two people do in the privacy of their own home is their own business, I have the audacity to suggest that sex outside of marriage is a sin, and sexual relations between same-sex people is sin. "What? Where do you come up with that?" See how it works? Or in a recent post I made the outrageous claim that those who are hostile to God will not find arguments in favor of God's view favorable. "What??!! Where do you come up with this stuff?"

I have what is commonly referred to as a "Christian worldview". A worldview is the view of the world around you that you hold that stitches everything together and makes it all fit. Mine is from a Christian perspective. Further, it is created, defined, and explained by the Bible. If it's in there, it's true. Doesn't much matter if others agree or not. Doesn't much matter if the tide of public opinion finds it compelling. It's the worldview I have and, therefore, the one on which I operate.

So, I read something like, oh, say, "The mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot" (Rom 8:7). I look at the text, the context, the subtext, and then conclude that the mind set on the flesh is hostile to God (because, you know, that's what it says). I read something like "The Natural Man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned" (1 Cor 2:14), examine the text and context, and conclude that those in their natural condition do not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned. Now, I know these things are not going to be well received. I know, in fact, that many Christians will disagree. But when it says it, it is in agreement with its context, and it is in agreement with the rest of Scripture, I have to conclude that it is true and others, Christians or not, who disagree are mistaken. So where do I come up with the notion that those who are hostile to God will not find arguments in favor of God's view favorable? Well, it's in the Bible, it's pretty clear in the Bible, and I have no reason to doubt from the words and the context that it doesn't mean exactly what it says. That is, "Well, my experience says otherwise" is not a suitable reason to change my conclusion. Experience is suspect.

I understand that my approach will not be viewed favorably by many. Well, certainly not by those whose mind is set on the flesh. Certainly not by those who are in their natural state. And don't be deceived -- that may include people who call themselves Christians. But I'm left with two possible options here. I can assume that the Bible is indeed God's Word, is understandable, authoritative, and right, or ... not. For those who would disagree with those notions, I have no other place to stand.

I would like to point out, however, that while it may be accurate (even expected) to say that my view will not be "mainstream" or "compelling" or even "acceptable", it cannot accurately be said that it is "cultural" or "irrational" or "immoral" -- accusations so often expressed about what I see clearly in the pages of Scripture. It can be said, "I disagree with your view" or, because I'm fallible, even "Here is a fault in the logic", but not that morality or rationality are missing. It is true, in fact, that I am not always pleased with what I find in Scripture. I mean, wouldn't it be easier to tell people, "Do whatever makes you happy"? But I cannot alter my Christian worldview without dynamically shifting all of life's paradigms and removing all hope or even rationale. Unless I am convinced by proofs from Scriptures or by plain and clear reasons and arguments, I cannot and will not retract, for it is neither safe nor wise to do anything against conscience. Here I stand. I can do no other. God help me.

3 comments:

David said...

It is often confusing to me when people that call themselves Christian openly deny clear teachings in Scripture. I mean, if you don't believe it actually means what it says, why bother calling yourself something you don't agree with?

Stan said...

Like that stunningly anti-Christian pastor who denies the Resurrection, the existence of Christ, or even the existence of God, I cannot fathom why they bother with the Bible either. Take it as it is or don't. To me, it's like the people I've heard recently suggesting, "The Church has to change" as if it's our own toy to shape into whatever we want it to be.

David said...

It is if you believe religion is a human construct and God just a mere creation of Man.