Like Button

Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Dyslexia

It's a broad term for a learning disability. It affects people in various ways and in various intensity. Some effects are mild; some are serious. It has to do with the way symbols are processed in the brain. What happens, in general, is that symbols get jumbled or exchanged. Characters in words may get reversed or words in sentences. "God" may be read as "dog", for instance. It causes difficulties in learning and reading and spelling, and, well, all sorts of things.

The most common form, I think, might be spiritual dyslexia. Here, let me demonstrate:
25 I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name bear witness about Me, 26 but you do not believe because you are not part of My flock. 27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of My hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father's hand (John 10:25-29).
Now, ask yourself, why don't people believe? Well, we know it's because they're not convinced or because they're not informed or because they're hostile to the message or ... all sorts of stuff. On the other hand, if they believe, what is the result? Well, they become Christians, they become part of the Body of Christ, or, in the sheep/shepherd terms above, they "join the flock". Right? Sure! That's how we see it. Pretty clear.

Except, that's not what Jesus said. We've managed to switch around "part of My flock" and "believe" so that being part of the flock is the product of believing, while Jesus says that the reason people don't believe is because they aren't part of His flock. That is, "part of My flock" precedes "believe", and not the reverse like we normally see it. Spiritual dyslexia.

We generate the faith even though Scripture clearly teaches that faith is "assigned" (Rom 12:3), "granted" (John 6:65), "through Christ" (Acts 3:16). Spiritual dyslexia. We present the Gospel and they see the kingdom of God and accept it, even though Jesus said without ambiguity, "Unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3). Spiritual dyslexia. We are quite sure that we choose Christ even though Jesus assured His disciples, "You did not choose Me, but I chose you" (John 15:16) and Paul said that "it depends not on human will or exertion, but on God" (Rom 9:16). Spiritual dyslexia. We're switching cause and effect, what comes before what. We're mixing up the symbols of our faith. And, like the dyslexics of our world, I don't think we're really aware of it. One thing's for sure. It can't be good for our spiritual learning.

3 comments:

Miklós said...

Good point! : ))

It probably comes from mixing God with someting else:
"How can you believe, who receive honor from one another, and do not seek the honor that comes from the only God?" (Jn 5:44)

John Hayes said...

You are really stretching the analogy and do not show much understanding about dyslexia.

You should try another approach if you expect more people to get your message.

Stan said...

I'm open to suggestions, John. How could I get across that people tend to reverse the order of things in Christendom?