Like Button

Saturday, January 08, 2011

Orthodoxy and Orthopraxy

Orthodoxy at its roots means "right thinking". Thus, orthopraxy is "right acting". There is a constant disagreement in Christendom, especially of late, as to which is more important. In America today orthodoxy is not of much importance at all to most. No, no, as long as you do what's right, that's what is important. And the argument goes that Jesus never lectured on the Trinity or explained the nuances of the Atonement or any such thing. He said things like "By their fruits you shall know them." So? What's the question? Jesus preferred orthopraxy over orthodoxy, right?

I'd like to submit an idea here. In the Sermon on the Mount we find six times when Jesus says "You have heard ... but I say ...". Each of the things we have heard are actions -- orthopraxy. But Jesus throws a wrench into the works. We know, for instance, not to commit murder (wrong action), but Jesus says that if you're angry (wrong thinking), you're doing the same thing. We know that adultery is wrong (wrong action), but Jesus says that if you lust (wrong thinking), you're already committing adultery. And so it goes. It appears, from what Jesus says in these examples, that wrong thinking produces wrong actions. Therefore, right thinking (orthodoxy) is necessary for right actions (orthopraxy).

Just an idea.

3 comments:

Craig said...

I've wondered for a while how folks identify orthopraxy without orthodoxy. I've asked the question, never gotten an answer.

Stan said...

You haven't been following the comments on my posts of late. :)

Craig said...

I have been following the comment posts of late, hence my response. I would sincerely love to get an explanation of how one can determine right action without somehow knowing that it is right. I guess I must wait in vain.

FYI, well done on the topic of regeneration etc.