Like Button

Sunday, October 31, 2010

The Prayers of a Righteous Man

James says that "The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much." This statement has such an impact on the Roman Catholics that they pray to saints, thinking, "Now, there's a righteous man; maybe he can pray for me and provide effective prayer on my behalf." Of course, we non-Catholics don't go there, but we do see the statement and think, "I need to have him or her pray for me ... because he or she is a righteous person and I covet their effective prayers on my behalf." I get it. Reasonable. I have those "go-to" people, too. In fact, sometimes when I ask them to pray for me I tell them, "You know, the effective prayers of the righteous man can accomplish much!" So ... you know ... pray for me.

A prayer that does not seem to occur to me is this one: "Father, make me a righteous man so that my effective prayer can accomplish much." But, then, wouldn't I have to be a righteous man for that prayer to work? Oh, I don't know ... sometimes prayer concepts are elusive. But that would indeed be my prayer.

1 comment:

Marshal Art said...

And it's a good one. I often ask for help in order to be a more righteous man, but never thinking that the result would be more effective prayers.

I like the second paragraph. Nice chicken/egg scenario. I say, go with the chicken and say the prayer.