Like Button

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Virtue and Reward

Somehow, somewhere along the way we got the idea that true virtue, genuine excellence, can only be achieved if the doer gains nothing by doing it. Okay, okay, maybe the one doing the good thing can gain, but that couldn't have been part of the motivation. You see, genuine virtue is only genuine if it is without reward.

Contrast that with Scripture. Paul speaks of the crown of righteousness, James and John both of a crown of life, and Peter a crown of glory. Jesus tells the disciples that those who are persecuted should "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven." Jesus told His disciples that those who were persecuted to "Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven." He urges them to give, pray, and fast in secret "and your Father who sees in secret will reward you." Paul tells us, "If the work that anyone has built on the foundation survives, he will receive a reward" (1 Cor 3:14). God Himself tells His people that He will bless those who obey and curse those who do not. I'm sorry to disagree with the concept, but it appears that the Bible teaches that there are rewards for doing good ... and that's a good thing.

As it turns out, this belief -- that genuine virtue is only genuine if it is without reward -- will only result in damnation if you're not careful. The author of Hebrews writes, "Without faith it is impossible to please [God], for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who seek Him" (Heb 11:6). You see, according to this passage, for faith to be valid it requires that we believe two things: That God exists, and that He rewards. Did you get that? Without these two beliefs it is impossible to please God.

Somehow we got turned around. Someone sold us a lie. We've been told "Virtue is its own reward." Immanuel Kant wrote, " A good will is good not because of what it performs or effects, not by its aptness for the attainment of some proposed end, but simply by virtue of the volition." You see, if you have an end in mind such as good results or good feelings or reward, well, then, it's not good. The only time that good is purely good is when it is performed by volition without end. Yeah ... we bought that. And no less than God Himself disagrees.

So, go ahead. Do good. Duty is a poor motivation, but better, I suppose, than nothing. Joy, on the other hand, is good. Doing what God wants you to do is better than not, but delighting in God is genuine good. Faith, if it is to be effective, must conclude that God is and that He rewards. So go ahead and enjoy the rewards of good. God intended it that way.

2 comments:

Marshal Art said...

Very interesting. This kinda reminds me of an atheist's argument that Christians do good for reward (or to prevent punishment) in the hereafter, rather than simply for the sake of doing good. But then if we assume God's existence as described in Scripture, why wouldn't we? And wouldn't doing for His sake then rank higher than doing for doing good's sake?


IMHO, I'm definitely concerned with pleasing God and not incurring his wrath. I'll leave it to Him as to my exact reward, but it seems to me that there is always some kind of reward or punishment, some kind of consequence of any action. Even good for the sake of good promotes good and brings the reward of satisfaction for doing so. But that reward pales in comparison to any God might bestow.

Stan said...

I'm wondering what the value is in doing good for the sake of doing good? That's the argument, but why is that "better"?

I tell my wife "I like to do things for you" and she says, "Why?" and I say, "I just can't help myself. Doing things for you makes me happy." Oh, what evil! What a diminished good! What ... wait. Why? Would I do better to say, "No reason. I don't actually like it, you see. I just do it because it's good to do it and it's my duty." Yeah, much better. Much more honoring to my wife.