Like Button

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

No-Say Zone

They're all up in arms now. It's horrible, awful, nonsensical. How can anyone think such a thing, let alone say it???!!! To what am I referring? According to 60 Minutes, when Sarah Palin was told that Senator McCain had selected her to be his running mate, she replied with unusual calm, "It's God's will." Oh, the horror! The audacity! The ... wait ... what's the big deal here? I think I missed something.

If there is a God, and if that God is sovereign (you know, like the Bible portrays Him), then of one thing we can be sure. If it happened it is, in some sense, God's will. He allowed it. He caused it. Whatever. But if He is sovereign and it happens then it is part of His divine will. Or, here, let me put it in biblical terms: "God works all things after the counsel of His will."

Now, if I'm allowed the freedom of religion in this country, and if my Bible clearly says that all things that happen are after the counsel of His will, then I am not arrogant in saying, "It's God's will." This doesn't suggest anything special about me. It doesn't even suggest, "What a pleasant thing!" It simply says, "God is sovereign and everything that occurs, from having a Downs Syndrome baby to being asked to run for Vice President, is God's will."

So, which is the problem? Is it wrong to believe, or is it wrong to express it? I'm not clear.

No comments: