Like Button

Monday, December 07, 2009

Winning Isn't Everything

The lighter versions of humans like to play with that phrase. "Winning isn't everything; it's the only thing." That kind of thinking. But the "wiser" of us will say, "That's right! It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game." And we come away feeling superior. But ... is it true? Or, more to the point, do you really believe that?

My family has a tradition of reuniting at Thanksgiving time. My parents, my siblings, and all the family we can muster show up someplace and spend the weekend together catching up on each others' lives. One of the traditions for the last three or four years has been a ping pong tournament. All in fun, you know. And my personal tradition for that time has been not to participate. I'll watch and take pictures and all that good stuff, but I feel no need to compete. Something ventured, nothing gained in my book. So I tell myself I'm somewhat superior because competition doesn't drive me like it does others. (And, really, is it competition? Not really. My brother wins every year, including this one, despite the nephews' year-long practicing to beat him.) So I explain to my family when they ask that I don't feel the need to compete and I'm happy just watching, thank you very much.

The truth, of course, is that I've been lying to myself. You know ... that old deceitful heart. While I've tried to tell myself I'm above all that, the truth is that I have been unwilling to compete because there is no chance at all of winning. I mean, how is that even competition? So, to save my pride, I've built this wise-sounding wall ("I don't feel the need to compete") and avoided the sound thrashing that I know I'd receive at the ping pong table. In other words, while I tell people, "Winning isn't everything", my actions say otherwise.

The point of this little story is not ping pong or winning. The point is that we always act on what we believe. I say "winning isn't everything" and I say "I don't need to compete" and it all sounds so good, but my actions say something else. I say I love Jesus and I say "nothing I desire compares to You", but my actions say something else when I sin.

This is a simple test of faith for all of us. You will tell yourself what you believe. Who knows better than you what you believe? But would you like to know what you truly believe? Look at what you do. You say that God is good, but do you thank Him when life gets uncomfortable? You say that God loves you, but do you rejoice in suffering or count it all joy when you encounter various trials? You say that you love Jesus, but do your actions reflect a love of Jesus or a love of sin and self? Remember, we all suffer from deceitful hearts. If you can use this simple test to examine what you truly believe, it will help you to know where to apply your prayers and your work in becoming a better reflection of Christ. And that's a good thing, isn't it?

7 comments:

Sherry said...

Stan, this is in regard to your statement in which you quote those well known song lyrics, "... I say "nothing I desire compares to You", but my actions say something else when I sin."

Among all the other praise songs the church we attend sometimes sang years ago was one that had the words "You're all I need. You're all I need. Jesus is all I need." (Repeat, several times.) I once stood there, surrounded by hundreds of people singing that, and wondered at the truth of the words that were being sung.

How many of us really DO think that He is ALL we need? Personally, I just couldn't bring myself to proclaim those particular words, so I would just resume singing when it was over and we were on to the next song. I WANT to believe that, so that I can sing it out loud and clear, but... wow. That's a very strong statement!

I do feel like I love the Lord. He has been my God from my youth and He has been there for me time and time again. I have unmistakably heard His voice many times over my life. He has been an ever present help in times of trouble and He has walked RIGHT BESIDE me at times in my life in a VERY real way. I am not a heathen, but...

I really can not say for certain that IF I were to somehow find myself completely alone, with the "rules" in this scenario being that I would, from that day forward, no longer be able to have any human contact, marooned on an island off of Iceland (which I feel is a step down from a desert island), that I would do well for very many months before I might begin to feel little reason to remain alive. And this is coming from someone who has always done really well with lots of alone time! (I guess if I could eventually make some animal "companions", I might not feel so alone.) Certainly I could still pray for others "back home" or in places around the world, but in no other way could I have any impact on their lives.

Away from the distractions of others, I could now spend most all my time communing with God Himself and hopefully would become much, much closer to Him! But, after a while, I might wonder, couldn't I also do that in a much better place if I were dead? I think I should be honest with myself and admit that I'm quite sure I would begin to have needs besides Jesus. "He's all I need"? I try not to deceive myself into thinking I have strength that I do not, but, unless tested, I may not really know. And, to be honest some more, such a test I don't want to have to ever endure in order to find out.

In the meantime, I just can't or feel less than genuine when I sing out words which I am just not sure are really completely true. I guess it's a good thing I am not the song leader, huh?! Oh, wait a minute, I am... but with little kids, in Sunday school. Oh great.

So... do I REALLY "stand alone on the word of God, the B-I-B-L-E"? Or do I also stand on OTHER THINGS, like Strong's Concordance and the opinions of others whose relationships with God and whose intellect I trust and highly respect??? I'll just add these to your very good questions at the end of your post. I think I can be quite confident that I will NOT come out smelling like a rose with my answers. How sad. But, as you say in your last 2 sentences, this is probably a GOOD thing to know.

Stan said...

I have not "arrived", nor am I "a heathen". I see God working in my life (usually at a long distance ... you know, over time) and I am comforted to know that He hasn't forgotten me, but up close and personal (me looking at me), I'm not satisfied with the level of my personal sanctification. Even so, come Lord Jesus.

Ruth said...

Yes, that is a good thing! Thanks for the questions... another blog I follow offered me some self-examining questions today... the challenges both of you offered will be on my mind and heart as I write and pray tonight.

It is indeed a comfort that He is working in us, and that we aren't comfortable with our level of sanctification but being always challenged to go deeper.

Stan said...

I guess I don't feel so bad, then, when I pass on things that challenge me. You know ... somewhere in the back a voice is saying, "Just because you have issues doesn't mean everyone else should." :)

Marshal Art said...

Well, I'm certainly not satisfied with my own self. I mean, who am I kidding? I long ago gave up trying to pretend I'm someone I'm not. I'm well aware of who and what I am, not that I'm gonna go into any details (your welcome). As I struggle to improve as well as when I refuse to take up the struggle, I'm just so happy I have a Savior Who's paid the price for me. Such a poor excuse for a believer needs one.

starflyer said...

Your brother doesn't win every year...but he has won 3 out of 4...some other cool guy won it in year 2. I know how concerned with truth you are, so I thought you should know.

Stan said...

See? Winning is everything! ;)