Like Button

Sunday, December 27, 2009

History -- The Short Version

You know, in the years that I've been blogging, I don't think I've ever explained myself. That is, I've never given what we in the Christian realm refer to as "my testimony". What's my background? Where did I come from? Why am I here? Maybe you'd like to know. (If not, feel free to read something else.)

I was born an extremely fortunate child, brought into the world in a family of believers. These weren't just any believers; these were serious believers. I learned the important things in life early, like going to church, reading my Bible, praying, memorizing Scripture, all that good stuff. I made my first profession of faith around the age of 5. That, of course, needed to be followed by a more "adult" version later, but I did all the right things growing up. I went to youth group, obeyed my parents, was part of the small groups studies, invited friends to church ... all the right stuff. It wasn't enough.

The day came when my desires overran my teaching and I jettisoned that entire portion of my life. At 18 I moved out and went to live with my girlfriend. Oh, my parents tried to stop me, the dear folk that they are, but I was in lust and God didn't much matter at that point. I'd run my own life, thank you very much. And I did. Right into the ground. It took several years, but the day finally came when I surrendered. I wasn't better off. I wasn't happier, more fulfilled, a better person ... any of that. And I tried it all. So I came back again, like the prodigal son, seeking my Father's forgiveness.

Life since then, contrary to what some would have you believe, has not been peachy. I got married and, four months later (right after my wife told me she was pregnant), got fired from my job for something I didn't do. I joined the military to get some training in a field in which I had no interest, but could give me a regular paycheck. My wife (after 12 years and two sons) left me for another guy. I struggled with besetting sins. Life didn't turn rosy because I turned it over to Christ. But it did turn, oh, so much better.

I now have a wonderful wife for whom I have nothing but gratitude every day. I have a job my meager planning skills would never have provided. (Remember that field in which I had no interest? Turned out to be a lot of fun.) The military taught me to be a teacher (I spent three years as an instructor) and I found that I really enjoyed teaching ... the Bible. My unpleasant work schedule (nights) in the military gave me the time to raise my two boys, both of whom I am very proud now that they are out on their own.

Things have not always been smooth. I still struggle with sin. I still have tough times. I still have trouble tracing God's hand. One thing I've learned over the years, though, is that God is good and always works things together for my good. Even when I can't see it and even when times are painful or perilous, I've learned I can lean on Him. He has proven completely reliable in all circumstances.

Some people have asked me if I'm a pastor. No, I'm not. Some have suggested I become one. Fun idea, but not my calling. I'm just a regular guy, blessed by God with a good background, a genuine faith, a heart for God, and a blessed life (family, friends, wife, children, job, etc.). (Please read that sentence carefully because I intended to convey that all that is a gift from God.) I love the Lord and love the Word and I'm very human. All this to tell you where I come from ... and to offer you good reasons to disagree with me at times. :)

2 comments:

Danny Wright said...

I hear it in church and on Christian radio all the time; the promise that Jesus will fix your life. It bothers me when I hear it for it is not totally true, and people who come to Jesus for that reason soon figure it out and begin looking for another fix. Jesus warns us about that in his admonition to count the cost. I like your honesty about the reality after your return.

Science PhD Mom said...

What comes to mind reading this:
My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus' name.
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.

When darkness veils his lovely face, I rest on his unchanging grace.
In every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil.
On Christ the solid rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.


So much wonderful theology buried in that hymn, and your testimony is that hymn in life. Thanks for sharing!